Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I carry a spare tire?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I carry a spare tire?

I have noticed many jeeps rolling around without a spare. Lots of jeeps four wheeling without the spare also. So, I know what the obvious benefit of having a spare is, although I am unaware of what sorts of benefits there are of not running a spare. Aside from shaving some weight off and maybe helping balance the jeepa little bit, what are the benefits?

I have a stubby steel bumper, and warn 9.5ti with steel cable on the front. I will end up running a rear bumper sooner or later.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have also seen alittle bit of that but to answer your question yes you should definitely carry a spare its a no brainer.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

I don't carry a spare around town but on road trip and wheeling I always take my spare. You never know when you tire will get gashed in the side and not be repairable that is less likely to happen around town.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw people get flats/hole thier sidewall the last couple times I was out wheeling.

I was what got me to start carrying a full size spare as I did not want to be four hours from home with a puny spare.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I do carry a spare, BUT, if you were properly setup and prepared, you could go without. You would need to have real bead-lock rims and carry a tire tube or two, patch kit, plug kit and spare valve stems. That way you could easily make the repair on the trail. Also, you can break a tire bead with a Hi-Lift and use spoons to remove the tire, but bead-locks are easier (but probably no faster).
Old 05-20-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

All the events I go to ....you MUST have a full sized spare. I have cut a sidewall before on the trail and the spare came in handy
Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely carry a spare, maybe not as big of an issue around town but I wouldn't go off road without one. If you don't have a good tire carrier, at least toss it in the back and strap it down.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently running without a spare, but only when I'm strictly on pavement. When I go wheeling I bring my spare, but have it strapped to the roll cage in the back with a monster tow and ratchet strap.

I am not carrying around my spare all the time because I have 35's and am waiting for the teraflex hinge system to arrive before I strap my spare on that tiny tailgate. I have a buddy that runs 35's and after only a month of his spare in the stock carrier with no support, his spot welds tore out and now his tailgate squeaks and rattles like crazy, and he's not carrying around his spare anymore.

Plus, IMO if you're sticking to pavement and are a good driver and not running into curbs and stuff like an old grandma, then there's no reason to carry around your spare while on pavement. I'm starting to like the look of no spare on the back.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Parachutes

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it,...
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Getting rid of mine and makeing something inside the jeep my factory one broke(?) and I lost the lugs ...so tramp stamp and a system inside the jeep is what I'm doing

Quick Reply: Should I carry a spare tire?