Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shorty vs Regular rear bumper

Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty vs Regular rear bumper

I have about nailed down the brand of rear bumper. I really like the LoD with rear tire carrier. My question to you all is do I go with the Shorty or regular width rear.

I have a mid width LoD front.

I would enjoy hearing your opinions on why one length over another and pics of LoD rear bumpers in both shorty and regular width. Are there advantages to shorty over regular or vice versa

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I went with a different brand full width figuring I need the extra protection when backing into things. LOL. If you think you want flat fenders, then a full-width looks funny with them.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think either way you still get corner protection unless you really try to hit things. I went with the short rear Lod just cause I was planning on getting flat flenders(now that I have them on I'm glad I did)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The LoD stubby looks better with flat flares I think and I havent really noticed yet any actual advantage to it compared to the full width. It still will let you drag it if need be and hold up. I think its really a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also went with a different brand full width.
Wanted a little extra protection on the rear corners.
IMHO, its your Jeep, your funds, and whatever you feel works best for your particular
situation.

Last edited by donnie; 03-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal preference is the shorty. It looks a lot better than the full width, at least with LOD. Seeing them both in person really made up my mind.

However since I have a Gobi rack I would probably end up getting the full width since it would protect the rack mounts.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a rear bumper yet, but I will not be going full width. Seen too many take a hit sliding on rocks. I am going with something more basic, and lighter.

Also going with a Or-Fab tire carrier, which is not part of the bumper. So that is not a consideration for me.

Quick Reply: Shorty vs Regular rear bumper