Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

short and sweet lift question

Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short and sweet lift question

I want to run 37"s on my 09 rubicon
I never hit rough trails so heavy articulation isn't an issue, concrete and mud holes are as extreme as I get
What do I need to do to safely run these?
3" lift, trim the corners, steering stabilizer, what else? stock length aftermarket shocks going to be okay? I think the previous owner did a leveling kit, it looks like there is a spacer on the top of the springs (I'll upload pics soon) anyone here running a similar setup? Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Open the two stickies at the top of this section.

Will you be running flat fenders / trimming the stock fender?

Why would you choose to run stock length shocks on a 3" lift?

Which components you will want/need will depend on the lift height you end up with, and your personal opinion/preference with how you think it drives.

Get a quote on C Gussets + install. And while you are there you may as well get quotes on a truss and sleeves also.

Then get another quote for gears + install.

If you end up over 3" or so, get prices for a front driveshaft (4door) or both driveshafts (2door). Just good info to have handy for if/when.

And why not go ahead and get prices on ball joints and alloy shafts just for the hell of it.

And ...

And ...
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 AM
JK Junkie

2 door ?
I've seen 37's under RK's 1.5's or 2.5" of actual lift. Will have to cut / run flat flares and some bump stop. I would upgrade the shocks but they do have extensions available.
Shocks are one of the best upgrades, I would do them.

2007 JK rubicon
Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

I would do a longer travel shock rather than stock length.

A steering stabilizer isn't needed as long as your stock one isn't damaged. If everything is good you could run without one technically. You'll just feel more input from your steering without one. Keep the sick if it's good and put that money elsewhere.

You'll want around 3.5" back spacing to keep full turn radius.

You could technically run them. Everything else is just insurance to help keep from parts failing.

With wheeling in mud you usually want wheel speed to going the mud from tires to keep them biting. You're more likely to break axle shafts with wheel speed. So maybe upgrade the axle shafts. Chromoly's maybe? Or just wheel until you break one then replace.

Don't forget proper amount of bump stops to keep your tires from rubbing up in the fender wells and ruin your tires.

Sent from my Go Go Gadget handheld device.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

I figured I would have to trim the fenders (plus I like the flat look much better) and I chose a 3" lift because I did read the first sticky before posting haha. It's a 4 door

http://rs307.pbsrc.com/albums/nn320/...0?t=1402404054
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boercker
I never hit rough trails so heavy articulation isn't an issue, concrete and mud holes are as extreme as I get
3" lift, trim the corners, steering stabilizer, what else? stock length aftermarket shocks going to be okay? I think the previous owner did a leveling kit, it looks like there is a spacer on the top of the springs (I'll upload pics soon) anyone here running a similar setup? Thanks in advance guys
Sir,

Keep in mind that 2 door vs. 4 door can play into the lift height needed as well. Usually 37's will require a flat fender or trimmed flares to fit under most kits less then 5.5" of lift. Lift height will ultimately decide what components will best suit your needs. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact us and we can walk you through some of your best options.

Good luck with your build,
RK
Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need shocks for the specific suspension height you gain.

Ours are on rebate until June 30th, as are our systems.

Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION

Originally Posted by boercker
Old 06-10-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

RK coils and 9000's FTW

2007 JK rubicon
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is mine with 2.5", flats and 37s. Did fine around town and on light trails.

Quick Reply: short and sweet lift question