Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

short arms and long arms!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJJK
long arms will give you more flex, and a better ride.
Long arms do not give you more flex. Generally flex is limited by your shocks length, brakelines or limiting straps. But they do have better ride/handling quality over a short arm setup.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifirush
This is a great explanation! Thanks!

I am looking to lift my JK in the next 3 weeks and am considering adjustable lower front arms, to start. I think, for my budget and driving style and what we use our JK for, the short arms are going to get the nod. Maybe someday I can go all out..... oh I can still dream! Thanks guys
Check out our 3" premium plus kit. Its a perfect starter lift and doesnt leave out parts you will buy down the road.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JK crystal
Just wondering what is the difference between long arms and short arms????
your factory arms are considered to be "short arms" but, compared to the old 97-06 TJ, they are a lot longer and, unless you are going to be installing a 4" lift or taller, are more than adequate. "long arms" are just that, longer arms that will require you to cut off and install new control arm mounts on your jeep's frame. the purpose of longer arms is intended to help restore your suspension geometry so that it's closer to stock again and among other things, the biggest benefits will be seen and felt most when driving on pavement. longer arms DO NOT necessarily provide more flex.

...one more thing, what is the difference between the front lower arm And the upper arm??
aside from the obvious, the lower control arms are intended to set the position of your axle under your jeep. the upper fronts are designed to set caster and in the rear, to set your pinion.

Thank you! I still have my stock arms. I have a 6 speed 4dr. So it will be better to but the set of the from lower, and rear uppers??
having all new adjustable control arms is nice to have but, being that you have a 4-door, you technically only need a set of adjustable front lowers as they alone will allow you to add a bit more positive caster. the rear uppers are only needed if you were to install a new u-joint style drive shaft but, this will not be needed on a 4-door.

Quick Reply: short arms and long arms!