Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Short Arm questions

Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Arm questions

I have the four link concept down from racing but the Jeep adds some new questions since I am not replacing some stuff.

I doing 3.5" RE standard kit, but I also purchased all new adjustable short arms.

I can do any of the following and kind of wondering where to go.

Option 1(my pick)
Lift everything adjust wheelbase pinion angles and everything back to where it is just be higher. Front driveshaft concerns me here a tad bit but not sure, have not seen how far it can go.

Option 2()
Pull front in to lessen whellbase and give more clearance.

Option 3()
Pull back in

Option 4()
Do a little of each and get some more.

Truly with a digital level/dial thing that has a name but I cant think of it, tape measure, and some plumb bobs I can do any of the above and hit damn close if not exact to where I am at right now or where I want to go.

Opinions???????????
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you contact the manafacture you got the control arms from and tell them the lift height, they will be able to tell you the length the arms need to be set at to achieve the correct angles.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdude3
If you contact the manafacture you got the control arms from and tell them the lift height, they will be able to tell you the length the arms need to be set at to achieve the correct angles.
I have the measurements they provided, that is not the point truly. I know what they say to adjust them to, but given I have the ability to do so and keep all angles correct, will the 2-3 of wheelbase help that much? It will change the center and what it can clear but is it evern worrth the effort? As far as 4-link goes, if I can get something to take off and clear a 1/4 in 9 seconds, I am pretty sure the JK alignment will be simple. Truly to go exactly back with simple tools you would plumbob the center of the axle prior to removing anything or lifting. Add everything and recenter and put pinion angles where they need to be by way of laser or levels. This is simple compaired to pulling a wheel forward to launch inline vs drifting off the center or jerking hard to one side. Given they did provide measurements, they are only going to get you so close and those are for the general install and to get you to an alignment shop. That is not something I bother with most of the time. I normally save my 50-75 bucks for and align the thing myself. With the Jeep lift you are actually not changing toe so that makes it even easier. Both sides just have to be the same. Where you put them is your choice. Maybe I just overcomplicated something I was thinking about and will just do it each way and measure breakover on the center to find out if it is worth it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Maybe I am not understanding something here, but:

You are lifting so that you can run bigger tires, correct?

And when you lift, the axles are pulled in, right? (the front axle moves backward, the rear axle moves forward)

So if you have both sets of arms for each end, you can move the axles back to where they started.

Sounds like you are over-complicating things...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StrokeHerAce
I have the measurements they provided, that is not the point truly. I know what they say to adjust them to, but given I have the ability to do so and keep all angles correct, will the 2-3 of wheelbase help that much? It will change the center and what it can clear but is it evern worrth the effort? As far as 4-link goes, if I can get something to take off and clear a 1/4 in 9 seconds, I am pretty sure the JK alignment will be simple. Truly to go exactly back with simple tools you would plumbob the center of the axle prior to removing anything or lifting. Add everything and recenter and put pinion angles where they need to be by way of laser or levels. This is simple compaired to pulling a wheel forward to launch inline vs drifting off the center or jerking hard to one side. Given they did provide measurements, they are only going to get you so close and those are for the general install and to get you to an alignment shop. That is not something I bother with most of the time. I normally save my 50-75 bucks for and align the thing myself. With the Jeep lift you are actually not changing toe so that makes it even easier. Both sides just have to be the same. Where you put them is your choice. Maybe I just overcomplicated something I was thinking about and will just do it each way and measure breakover on the center to find out if it is worth it.
I PERSONALLY dont think it would be worth it. If you shorten them or lengthen them your tires will rub on your body and/or bumpers. when the axle droops the tire swings foward and when it stuffs it swings back. Therefore if you have the axle moved back say 1-2" it will stuff into your rear bumper or the rear pinch seam or the front bumper or the front pinch seam. If you find it benificial to you go for it!

Last edited by rcdude3; 01-19-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Short Arm questions