Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shops for re-gearing in Raleigh/Durham area?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shops for re-gearing in Raleigh/Durham area?

Hi All,
I posted in new members forum last week, and at that time I really thought my 2010 JK Sahara had been re-geared from the stock 3.21 based on RPM charts online, the way it drives (i.e. not slow at all, except doesn't have 6th gear) and the overall build of the vehicle (seemed nothing was skipped with prior to my buying it - guess previous owner ran out of money for gears), and that fact that there is no tag on rear diff, which usually means somebody has been in there and done something and didn't bother putting the tag back on. All the lead me to believe it had been re-geared.

Based mainly on the fact that it really doesn't have 6th gear, to confirm the current ratio, I just did the tire rotation test (jack up back end - both tires in the air, then rotated tire 2x, as only one spun, and counted driveshaft rotations), and looks like it still has the 3.21 gears, as the driveshaft only went round 3 and about a quarter turns. This means 1) i need to re-gear, and 2) either my engine RPMs are wrong, or the tables on the web showing tire size/RPMs are wrong, because i'm very close to 2500 RPM in 4th gear at 65MPH which the tables say i should be at. Oh well, it is what it is i guess.

That said, does anybody know a good, reliable shop in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area that can do the re-gearing work? I'm sure my local garage can do it, but would like some consultation as to what would be best, what parts are needed, etc. and not sure my local guys are Jeep savvy enough to help. Still loving it regardless!

Appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3560.JPG
Views:	881
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	616063  
Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

East Coast Gear Supply is in Raleigh... excellent reputation.

East Coast Gear Supply
Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
East Coast Gear Supply is in Raleigh... excellent reputation.

East Coast Gear Supply
thanks - looks like the right kind of place!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for ECGS
Old 06-26-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Third vote for ECGS.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

already sent them a note - will keep updated with progress! thanks all!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

35's? Did you actually measure the tires when plugging numbers into the rpm chart, or just use the mfg's propaganda? Which charts did you use? The JK specific ones that break it down by engine and transmission, or a generic? Is the speedo calibrated for the tire size?

Read through a few of the thousands of re-gearing threads before deciding on a ratio!!

Since you have 3.21's, you will want a new carrier for the d30. Have you considered adding traction? This might be a good time to do it. (A full case locker/truetrac would be used instead of buying a new open carrier). Gussets?
Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
35's? Did you actually measure the tires when plugging numbers into the rpm chart, or just use the mfg's propaganda? Which charts did you use? The JK specific ones that break it down by engine and transmission, or a generic? Is the speedo calibrated for the tire size?

Read through a few of the thousands of re-gearing threads before deciding on a ratio!!

Since you have 3.21's, you will want a new carrier for the d30. Have you considered adding traction? This might be a good time to do it. (A full case locker/truetrac would be used instead of buying a new open carrier). Gussets?
What nthinuf said... use actual diameter of tire... measure from the center of the wheel to the ground while the rig is on the ground. Double that is your effective tire diameter. That's what the computer is seeing.

I like this calculator as it's very specific .... 4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators
Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Absolutely ECGS, especially for gears and axle work.

Really nice folk and know their stuff!

Edit: 4wheelparts Raleigh can do re-gearing as well.

Edit2:
Echoing what nthinuf said...Get the c-gussets if you don't already have them welded in. Check to make sure/have the shop check that D30 c area and the rest of the axle and the balljoints ahead of time so no surprises when you zip off with the new gears. Those are big tires and that bumper isn't light.

Oh, and nice JK!

Last edited by pbujku13; 06-26-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

i used this table: Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

i'll measure the tires to see where they currently sit - they're nitto trail grapplers, just FYI. i've reached out to ECGS, and plan to consult with them around what it really needs based on what i'm going to use it for (been reading the threads and while there's a lot of great information, not sure i can decide based on what i've read). I'm planning on perhaps a couple trips a year to Uwharrie Ntl Forest just for fun, and lots of trips to the Outer Banks as we own a house down there, so lots of highway, then beach driving. Based on that I'm not sure I need full lockers, etc - I considered that when i bought it, as there was a similar specd Rubi on the lot and i went with the Sahara instead, thinking as i probably won't be aggressively wheeling it, don't need the full functionality, etc. that the Rubi provided.

Appreciate all the input from everybody!

Last edited by 1987GW; 06-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Shops for re-gearing in Raleigh/Durham area?