Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shop to install bb lift

Old 10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ldstruckn
I went by the local shop because the temps here have been 50 and below and the army has seen fit to not offer me a garage. They quoted 4-500 bucks to install a teraflex bb 2.5 inch lift. Does that sound outrageous to anyone else?
x2 on what the others have been saying...Way too much $$$ for the install. Does your military base have a auto/hobby shop? Usually there are DIY military auto/hobby shops that you can rent tools and a stall to do the lift yourself...There is even a great write-up in this forum to help you through it...Best of luck...
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift

I know the old David Taylor Naval Research Center in Annapolis has a full 9 bay garage with all the tools and lifts for a small hourly fee. really cheap!!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your post doesn't have an auto hobby shop? Check with your local MWR...the auto shops are fully stocked with any tool you could need. The one here on Ft Meade has lifts and a standby team of volunteer mechanics to help with anything. Best of all heated garage. Its all free.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's ridiculous. If you were in Georgia, I'd say grab a 12 pack and come on over.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yall, there HAS to be someone on here close to him that can help him out. Any takers?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

My local shop told me $200 buck and it would be done in less than 2 hours...that was for a 2.5 bb and both adjustable track bars.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

I was quoted and accepted $310 for a Jeep specialty garage to install my two inch BB lift with shocks. I thought it was very reasonable, since I had not the garage or proper tools to do it myself in Februeary weather. 4-500 is a bit high.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That lift really can be installed in a driveway. Its that easy. Me and a fellow JK'er installed it in his driveway without any trouble. Just pay attention to what direction you put the sway bar link bolts in the rear. You don't want them to hit the tire or the frame at flex.

Ty
Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I put it on by myself in my carport. Took about 4 hours because I did not have a jack that would reach the required hieght. I ended up putting the stock scissor jack on top of my car ramps and then jacking it up from there to get the height needed.
I spent well over an hour total fighting with the jack and jackstands.
I do have the track bar relocation bracket left over. I don't see a need for it. I performed the lift without removing either track bar from the rig.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same amount I got quoted 2 weeks ago!!

I got the 2" Black Diamond BB. I got quoted $450 at one shop and $550 at another. They told me 4-5 hours.

Well, i said screw that. Having never done any suspension work before, I got talked into it by forum members here. It took me 2.5 hours in my garage, with only a floor jack and 2 stands, and less then 10 handtools. 2.5 hours !! And, I double checked everything TWICE and refered to the install info on this forum a dozen times. 2.5 hours with all their professional equipment and experience??? Trying to rip me off, and trying to rip you off !!

I'll tell you what other members told me. Do it yourself, and you'll learn alot, and have the pride and satisfaction of the accomplishment. And if you run into a problem, log onto the forum and ask for help. If you really get stuck, I'll pm you my phone and help you through it, and I'm sure others here would offer the same.

As for the temp, get the kids and the wife out with you, and have them hold hairdryers in your direction....

Good luck I'm sure you'll do well.

Quick Reply: shop to install bb lift