Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shocks and suspention help?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and suspention help?

Hey there guys I need new shocks or maybe even more then just shocks but either way I need help on the subject as well. To start I live in northern canada and this winter was a harsh one around are area. As a result of the harsh winter and very wet spring the roads around the area are absolutely terrible. I drive probably 90% gravel roads, and when I say gravel I mean sloppy, muddy, pot holes, and washboard that will rattle your teeth out. My set up is a 2012 rubicon jku with a 3.5 x-factor with bilstein 5100s sitting on 37" cooper stt's on stock 17s. I chose the bilsteins because all the great reviews I had heard but my jeep rides like a lumber wagon. I have a 2000 dodge 2500 diesel with a block lift that rides like a dream compared to the jeep and it is far from a nice ride. I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on what shocks would be better, has anyone experienced the same problems, or is there anything else I can do to improve the ride other then the little things like lowest tire pressure. I know it's a jeep and it's not meant to ride like a Cadillac but It seams like it should ride better then it does.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Try changing tire pressure

Looks like you have great shocks, I installed BFG KM2 load E in size 285-75-17 which is 34" on stock wheels with Rubi red shocks and the tire installer filled them to 40psi. The rider was rough and my JKU was a rattle trap. I started to lower the psi and the ride started to improve and it wasn't untill I got to 30psi that I was happy with the ride.
Before the BFG KM2 I had Goodyear Duratracs load D in 285-70-17 which is 33" on stock wheels with same Rubi red shocks and the tire installer filled them to 40psi, the ride was smooth, quiet and perfect I never changed a thing. Go figure.
I think if you play with the tire pressure you can make some improvements and its free and you can do it yourself.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I have played a bit, I will keep on trying I am starting to think I got the shocks part number mixed up on order tho
Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

I've found that they seem to use higher psi to help mount/balance them and forget to lower it

Don't forget to try the chalk test , my heavy 2 door JK came in right at 24 psi for the 5,200 pound JK with heavy bumpers, winch, rock rails and replaced the factory axle assemblies.

Matthew
Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a fan of the Bilsteins. Buddy has them on his with RK lift and it rides rough. My OME Nitrochargers sports ride much smoother. I think if you've already played with tire pressure and balancing, you should consider the shocks. I think you can still do the Rancho rebate and get a set of their 9k,s for like 250 after rebate plus a 90 day return if you don't like them.

You can get a set of the OME for 400. Get parts 60067L and 60066L.

Last edited by TxJeepers; 06-25-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would it be worth going for an adjustable shock? Can you play that much with them or is it a pretty narrow field of adjustment

Quick Reply: Shocks and suspention help?