Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shocks, to splurge or not to splurge?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change shocks because U wanna change them! Do NOT let the woman in your life influence decisions for your toys/enjoyment in life.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated my Rancho 9000XLs. For whatever reason, the rear shocks actual body sits low and the shaft protrudes up. I crunched the body on a rock quickly. I also smashed off the cheap plastic dials they have too, making them worthless. I was told I should have turned the dials inward, thus making them nearly inaccessible. This of course, was before having 3 of 4 blow out the first time I tried anything with speed.

I switched to Fox 2.0 with reservoirs. Love them to death, still do. They are obviously more expensive, but worth it. The dial is on the top of the shocks, with metal dials. It's just a better design. The Ranchos are, quite frankly, poorly designed. They were a good shock on the street, but off road I can't speak poorly enough about them.

So, splurge now or splurge later.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:46 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you are well aware the b!tchin is not going to stop until you do something.

The good news about the shocks are they are transferable to the new lift IF you stay at or near your current lift height. So with that get the new shocks. Consider King 2.5 adjustable. This allows you to dial in your comfort level. On the road they are great and off road even better.

KING 2.5" OEM REPLACEMENT SHOCKS FOR JEEP JK WRANGLER (pair)

*Used rebel's page because I couldn't get the King page to load properly.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostjku0910
I run the Bilstein non remote res on my jkus. I have a 3.5 RC lift 35" tires . Took a few months to break in but now they have a great ride . And I don't sag when I tow either like some others do
How does a shock "break in"?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Change shocks because U wanna change them! Do NOT let the woman in your life influence decisions for your toys/enjoyment in life.
They'll be changed because I want them changed eventually anyway but if I make it ride better now that means she wont continue to complain when I want to do another modification. In other words I want to make it ride better for her now so that I don't get one of these later:

me- "I think I'll go ahead and change my control arms"
her- "Does that make it ride better?"
me- "Not exactly"
her- "And how much does it cost?"
me "Did I say control arms? I meant shocks AND control arms"
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It's funny, I've been hearing people say that for so long. But when a shock is "broken in" its time for new shocks..
Old 04-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

We design this shock to be can DOWN and rod UP. We find that having the rod down increases nixs on it and leads to failure.
That knob is replaceable too.
Also we offer a Limited Lifetime Warranty too.

Limited Lifetime Warranty / 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer

Originally Posted by bonanza
I hated my Rancho 9000XLs. For whatever reason, the rear shocks actual body sits low and the shaft protrudes up. I crunched the body on a rock quickly. I also smashed off the cheap plastic dials they have too, making them worthless. I was told I should have turned the dials inward, thus making them nearly inaccessible. This of course, was before having 3 of 4 blow out the first time I tried anything with speed.

I switched to Fox 2.0 with reservoirs. Love them to death, still do. They are obviously more expensive, but worth it. The dial is on the top of the shocks, with metal dials. It's just a better design. The Ranchos are, quite frankly, poorly designed. They were a good shock on the street, but off road I can't speak poorly enough about them.

So, splurge now or splurge later.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
So funny, I thought the same thing.

If it's riding different than the start, especially softer, it's cashed out.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Drop down to 28psi: it's free.
Second that...you wouldn't think dropping 3 or 4 lbs out makes as much a difference as it does

Quick Reply: Shocks, to splurge or not to splurge?