Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shocks, to splurge or not to splurge?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks, to splurge or not to splurge?

Ok so after upgrading to a 35" tire my fiancé complains the jeep rides too stiff, I've tried telling her to give it time and the tires will soften up and we'll play with tire pressure. But just in case we decide to go ahead and change shocks what does everyone recommend? The jeep is currently on what I believe to be the RC 3.5" lift(bought it that way) so it would explain the stiffness, nothing against RC but this kit doesn't come with a shock that compares to the biltsein 5100s I had on my Tacoma or the remote res fox coilvers a buddy runs on his taco crawler, so my question is should I go ahead and just match a good shock to the current lift to regain some of that oh so plush stock wrangler ride quality? Or suck it up until it's time to do a complete suspension change? I'm partial to the latter, however I wouldn't complain if I could make it ride smoother and not hear about how hard it is for her to drive
Old 04-02-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop down to 28psi: it's free.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I should have included that the short list is looking like this so far
Front: Fox Racing 2.0 Factory Performance Remote Reservoir Rear: Fox Racing Performance 2.0 (non remote res)Bilstein 5100s all around
Old 04-02-2016, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Drop down to 28psi: it's free.
Funny you should say that, I ran lower than that in my Tacoma with 33s and I was thinking with the Jeep I might run closer to 25 and see how that goes
Old 04-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would look into an adjustable shock like the Rancho RS9000 XL that way you can adjust the ride.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the ranchos for now. They are cheap and ride nice until you can do a full upgrade all around.

And address the tire pressure ASAP. That might be enough improvement alone to get you by until the full upgrade.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

I've had both remote reservoir Bilstein 5160 and Fox shocks. I wouldn't consider either soft for daily driving(I had EVO plush coils with the bilstein, and metalcloak springs with the fox.) They performed great offroad, but were fairly stiff on road(37" tires at <25psi.) I run 25psi in my current 35s with rancho rs9000xl shocks set to 3 front and 2 rear and the ride is softer than either the bilstein/fox setup. I haven't taken them offroad yet to compare to my past setups.
I installed a 2" rancho "sport" kit on a customer's JKU today with the RS5000 non adjustable shocks and the ride was better/softer than the stock JKU "sport" suspension.
The best ride quality I have ever experienced in a JK with MT tires was EVO valved bolt on coilovers.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ttechris
I've had both remote reservoir Bilstein 5160 and Fox shocks. I wouldn't consider either soft for daily driving(I had EVO plush coils with the bilstein, and metalcloak springs with the fox.) They performed great offroad, but were fairly stiff on road(37" tires at <25psi.) I run 25psi in my current 35s with rancho rs9000xl shocks set to 3 front and 2 rear and the ride is softer than either the bilstein/fox setup. I haven't taken them offroad yet to compare to my past setups.
I installed a 2" rancho "sport" kit on a customer's JKU today with the RS5000 non adjustable shocks and the ride was better/softer than the stock JKU "sport" suspension.
The best ride quality I have ever experienced in a JK with MT tires was EVO valved bolt on coilovers.
Thanks for all the replies! I'm interested to hear how the ranchos do offroad, I don't do a lot of rock crawling, and I'm on a trail maybe once or twice a month on average. I tend to stick to what my wallet can handle at the time so I try avoiding body damage at all costs.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check this article out from Overland Jounral a couple of years back.
We were fortunate to come out on top against some other big players.
Also rebate time too:
Promotions

Good luck on your choice!

Originally Posted by Re-bo
Thanks for all the replies! I'm interested to hear how the ranchos do offroad, I don't do a lot of rock crawling, and I'm on a trail maybe once or twice a month on average. I tend to stick to what my wallet can handle at the time so I try avoiding body damage at all costs.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Re-bo
Guess I should have included that the short list is looking like this so far Front: Fox Racing 2.0 Factory Performance Remote Reservoir Rear: Fox Racing Performance 2.0 (non remote res)Bilstein 5100s all around
I run the Bilstein non remote res on my jkus. I have a 3.5 RC lift 35" tires . Took a few months to break in but now they have a great ride . And I don't sag when I tow either like some others do

Quick Reply: Shocks, to splurge or not to splurge?