Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shocks to replace stock shocks

Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks to replace stock shocks

Right now I'm looking to replace my stock shocks. I have a 2 inch SL coil spacer lift and am thinking about getting skyjacker hydro shocks. Just thought I'd throw it out there and get some input
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tattedJkers
Right now I'm looking to replace my stock shocks. I have a 2 inch SL coil spacer lift and am thinking about getting skyjacker hydro shocks. Just thought I'd throw it out there and get some input
Get OME Nitrochargers instead. You could do them in a 0-2" of lift size, or 2-2.5" of lift.

Last edited by MTH; 05-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm working on a tight budget right now. I can wait awhile though. I take it off road now and then nothing too hard core.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Bilstein 5100s. Love them. Almost the same on road ride as stock (a bit more firm) but amazing on the trail.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tattedJkers
I'm working on a tight budget right now. I can wait awhile though. I take it off road now and then nothing too hard core.
That's what I figured. The OME's are like twice the price.

Still, in my view it's worth considering when replacing parts if you want to bite the bullet and "upgrade" instead of just "replace."

I can say that the OMEs are really, really nice. When I went to 19/60 coils and the OMEs, it made a huge difference in my ride. I have 3/4" spacers.

If it were me, and I could wait, I might buy two OME's now and two more whenever I had the cash. Or just set aside the cash as if it were spent, and then pick up all four when I had the full amount.

But that's just my two cents. I'm sure some new SkyJacker Hydros would be an improvement over your current set up. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Another thought--don't buy more hydros until you search the "For Sale" section and see whether anybody with low miles is getting rid of their stockers. You could get a new set for just a few bucks.

Or better yet, pick up a set of low mileage Rubi (or for 2011, Sahara too) take offs. Then grab a set of TeraFlex shock extensions. If you can get the Rubi take offs cheap, that on balance might be about the same cost as new SkyJacker hydros.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I'm most likely going to wait it out until I can get a decent upgrade
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

I just swapped out the Skyjacker hydro's out of my 2011 JK 4door. The ride on the street is a bit harsh. Would do as many others said......save a little longer and get the right part. I replaced them with OME LT shocks. This is my second jeep with OME 's and have to say both on and off the road they perform well.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Save and get the OME's or Bilsteins.

If you can't wait, or save, go with a set of Rusty's shocks. For a hydro shock, they ride awesome. They're valved for JK's, made by Gabriel, and you can get them in practically any length you need. $35 each.

Whatever you do, stay far away from anything Skyjacker. There's just way too many other better options out there.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the skyjacker nitros and I like them just fine. They have held up well off road

Quick Reply: shocks to replace stock shocks