Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shocks for overlanding AND crawling

Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Kind of a stretch I know but I need a recommendation on the best dual purpose shock out there. After 3 sets of shocks in 2 years it turns out my lift was adjusted incorrectly and is destroying shocks. They had the rear axle pushed back too far which means the springs have a funky bend in it and after a trip to the Maze district at canyonlands and multiple weekends of crawling at Disney it finally showed the weakness and broke. So with everything adjusted correctly I can finally put some shocks on that will LAST so I need some good ones. I'm done with crawling since we have a baby due in April and won't go anywhere I could risk a rollover so I need something that will work for higher speed fire roads, washboard roads and long hours on the highway getting there. But also want them to handle being stretched out for when I do come across something I'd like to play around on.

Are reservoir shocks really worth the extra money? How do I know which model to get and what length?

Jeep is a 10A with 35s with rough country 4" lift.

It's bouncing like a low rider right now!
Fox resi or King. You will be happy, and yes, if you are working your suspension hard, the resi shocks are 100% worth it. I would not run rancho, or bilstien as I seen to many of them fail bad. Good thing with FOx and king, they are rebuildable. And also they are tunable too. If you feel something is not exactly how you like you can get them tuned to what you want.

In my motorsports shop, I do shock rebuilds all the time on snowmobiles and atvs etc. Same holds true for Jeeps etc. Just change the valving inside, and you have a better performing shock.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Kojack- the Bilstein 7100 is rebuildable. TheDirtman did a post on it with the cost not being much more than other mid-high priced shocks.

The TF prerunner kit they've started pushing lately is a standard kit but with hydraulic bumpstops to soften the blows of hard landings.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The non-adjustable Fox were developed for a linear coil rate. We have heard complaints where people thought they were too loose with our triple and other MFG's progressive rates coils. The adjustable fox with the dial on a firm setting is getting great reaction in contrast.

We have always found a good monotube shock an affordable well performing shock. Both the Bilstein and Rancho have had great reviews from our customer base.

The rebuildable 2.0 and greater shocks are a great upgrade. If you go with a larger diameter (2.0) be sure when you're cycle testing the front that the shocks do not contact the frame at full droop. Even if a trackbar is slightly off it can cause enough contact to ruin a front shock, purge gas, or even bend a body/shaft on an expensive shock.

Rk
Old 12-28-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Kojack- the Bilstein 7100 is rebuildable. TheDirtman did a post on it with the cost not being much more than other mid-high priced shocks.

The TF prerunner kit they've started pushing lately is a standard kit but with hydraulic bumpstops to soften the blows of hard landings.

I would rather fox, King or Elkas. I have seen many bilstiens of various numerage fail at the shaft.

Quick Reply: shocks for overlanding AND crawling