Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shocks for overlanding AND crawling

Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks for overlanding AND crawling

Kind of a stretch I know but I need a recommendation on the best dual purpose shock out there. After 3 sets of shocks in 2 years it turns out my lift was adjusted incorrectly and is destroying shocks. They had the rear axle pushed back too far which means the springs have a funky bend in it and after a trip to the Maze district at canyonlands and multiple weekends of crawling at Disney it finally showed the weakness and broke. So with everything adjusted correctly I can finally put some shocks on that will LAST so I need some good ones. I'm done with crawling since we have a baby due in April and won't go anywhere I could risk a rollover so I need something that will work for higher speed fire roads, washboard roads and long hours on the highway getting there. But also want them to handle being stretched out for when I do come across something I'd like to play around on.

Are reservoir shocks really worth the extra money? How do I know which model to get and what length?

Jeep is a 10A with 35s with rough country 4" lift.

It's bouncing like a low rider right now!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancho 9000 adjustable. Easy to adjust for different uses.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm on my 2nd set of 9000s now. Not their fault they failed but still was never really that happy with them. Even adjusted wildly from one extreme to the other didn't seem to make much of a difference on whoops or washboards
Old 12-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Length will be dependent upon the extended length of your coils and where your bumpstops sit. That'll give you extended and collapsed. Be sure to take into account your brakelines, abs, and sway bar if you've got a rubi.

You say you've been destroying shocks, you should probably look at adding limiting straps as well. They're cheaper than replacing shocks all the time.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk

You say you've been destroying shocks, you should probably look at adding limiting straps as well. They're cheaper than replacing shocks all the time.
Thank you for the recommendation, after researching it there is definitely a set of limiting straps in my very near future. I'm wondering if that wasn't my problem all along.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by invest2m4
rancho 9000 adjustable. Easy to adjust for different uses.
x2 !!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been abusing my Fox resi's for almost eight years without a single problem.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by dahreno
I've been abusing my Fox resi's for almost eight years without a single problem.
I was going to say Fox w/ Resi's or maybe even Bilstein's w/ resi but I think the build quality is better with the Fox
Old 12-27-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

OME is another you should be looking at.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Rancho 9000 adjustable. Easy to adjust for different uses.
^^^ Ditto^^^^. You may want to also consider some better springs dual or triple rate will smooth out the ride. RC I not noted for being a good quality lift. Check out the TeraFlex Prerunner lift.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 12-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: shocks for overlanding AND crawling