Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shocks + BB using stock jack?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you need bump stops if your not running hugh tires. you could always use washers and longer bolts to move bump stops. Um X2 the good jack stands. Buy you a cheap hydro jack will make it ten times easier. On my friends BB on his grand we used a 20ton jack. Dont ask, just a little over kill. But was no need to press down hard.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my 2.5 TF bb with the stock jack. It actually worked really well for popping the spacers into the holes. You do need least jack stands.

The stock jack will tire you out. I was hurtin the next day. If you can spring for a floor jack, just do it - you wont be sorry.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

why do people still ask about going cheap on a jack & stands?

why do you want to go cheap on something that could kill you???
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Why would you need bump stops if your not running hugh tires. you could always use washers and longer bolts to move bump stops. Um X2 the good jack stands. Buy you a cheap hydro jack will make it ten times easier. On my friends BB on his grand we used a 20ton jack. Dont ask, just a little over kill. But was no need to press down hard.
I just pointed it out because pictures of the kit include bump stops, but they won't be in the kit. Just an FYI.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Machine154
I just pointed it out because pictures of the kit include bump stops, but they won't be in the kit. Just an FYI.
I like your avatar!!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
I like your avatar!!!!!
Thanks - I was addicted to that show as a kid.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

I recommend this jack, from sears... I love it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950239000P?vName=Automotive&cName= Tools+%26+Equipment&sName=Lift+Equipment
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

minimum, get yourself a proper jack and 2 stands, the scissor jack that come with the jeep can easy hold the jeep, but can easily topple over when your pushing and pulling stuff under there. be safe and do it the correct way
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

after my 2.5" bb there was no way I could jack up the front passanger side high enough to get a 33" tire off with the stock jack. I had to borrow the girlfriend's liberty and head out to walmart to pick up the tallest bottle jack they had. Now I keep that in the jeep with a block of wood incase I ever need to change a flat.

Since then I bought a nice floor jack and some TALLL jack stands.

I have no idea how the guys running 5+ inches of lift do it without a floor lift.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jinkang
I have X model, and want to install rubicon shocks + Daystar 1.75" BB.
for lifting the car, can i do this with a simple stock jack that came with the car?
how difficult/unsafe is this approach?

thanks in advance.
the lift doesn't change the distance from the axle to the ground the tires do. everybody is right on getting a good jack and stands but if you don't plan on changing to many tires you can make a sturdy base out of wood to put under the jack if you do have bigger tires. just remember the one that comes with it is just good enought to do the job and probably not that often.

Quick Reply: Shocks + BB using stock jack?