Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shocks

Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

I have a 2014 Jeep Sahara. I modified the fenders and the front and rear bumpers. This added weight to the vehicle. I added a 2" BODY LIFT which comes with shocks. I also have 35" Nitto grappler trail tires on the vehicle. Im looking for a more comfortable ride with more stability so Im switching over to the 35" Nitto Gappler Terra tires. I use the vehicle for mostly on-road. Should I change the shocks also? If so should I go with Bilstein shocks?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would just leave the factory shocks on. Bilstien are going to be stiffer then factory. Not sure why you did a body lift as if you lost lift height due to weight you should have installed either coil spacers or went with some longer coils like the rock krawler or metal cloak 1.5" Check your tires and make sure they are not too heavy for the jeep, many people over look the weight ratings on the tires and run too much pressure in them resulting in a harsh ride. A "C" load is more then enough for an armored up JKU.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would just leave the factory shocks on. Bilstien are going to be stiffer then factory. Not sure why you did a body lift as if you lost lift height due to weight you should have installed either coil spacers or went with some longer coils like the rock krawler or metal cloak 1.5" Check your tires and make sure they are not too heavy for the jeep, many people over look the weight ratings on the tires and run too much pressure in them resulting in a harsh ride. A "C" load is more then enough for an armored up JKU.
I run my 315/70/17 Load Rang "C" Trail Grapplers at about 28 psi. You'll notice that the ride will be a little softer plus the tire will wear evenly across the width rather than the middle of the tire.

Agree with the Bilstein shocks being a little firm. I'm running an AEV lift and it came with specifically tuned Bilsteins. They're not unbearable, but I may try something a little softer when it's time to replace them.

Quick Reply: Shocks