Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which shocks?
EVO
20.00%
OME
35.56%
Bilstein
37.78%
Rancho
6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Which shocks?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shocks?

I need to get new shocks because my Superlfit shocks really aren't providing any more sort of added comfort on road. The ride has always been a little rough, but lately it's terrible. After riding in Wings Fan's jeep with OME's I have determined that I need to get new shocks. I know springs contribute to the ride as well, and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the shocks would make the on-road ride better overall. I plan to keep my 4" Superlfit springs, and I am between several choices on shocks:

1. Off Road Evo King shocks
2. Old Man Emu Long Travels
3. Bilstein 5100
4. Rancho 9000XL

What are the opinions out there as far as on-road ride quality. I wheel at least 2 times a month, more in the summer if I can afford it, but my JK is my daily driver as well. By my calculations, all these shocks are around the same price, with the Rancho's being the most expensive and probably the biggest pain in the ass due to the adjustability issues, followed by the EVOs, then the OMEs, and Bilsteins.

what say you all?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Bilsteins and love them. Much better ride than my stock Rubi's. Great both on road and off road so far. No complaints.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm crazy, but EVO Kings are about $1200 for 4. The others are pretty cheap in comparison. Another choice is Fox with Resv, 4 for around $700 valved for the JK from Procomp - ordered through 4wd.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bilsteins worked good with my superlift springs,rode good for a daily driver. They didn't work ass well with my teraflex springs. I ended up getting the Tera shocks and now I'm back to the same nice ride I had before.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Castalone
Correct me if I'm crazy, but EVO Kings are about $1200 for 4. The others are pretty cheap in comparison. Another choice is Fox with Resv, 4 for around $700 valved for the JK from Procomp - ordered through 4wd.
So wait...are the Kings $340 a piece? I was on EVOs website and I sort of assumed the $340 price was for the set...but it makes more sense that they are a lot more...

I'll have to check out those Procomp/Fox ones, but at this point I am leaning toward OME I think. Should the OME long travels work out of th ebox with my 4" Superlift springs?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rancho shocks

I have the rancho 9000xl shocks on my 07 unlimited. They are by far the best shocks and go for only $100 a piece. They are even adjustable and offer a wireless controller so they can be easily adjusted.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
So wait...are the Kings $340 a piece? I was on EVOs website and I sort of assumed the $340 price was for the set...but it makes more sense that they are a lot more...

I'll have to check out those Procomp/Fox ones, but at this point I am leaning toward OME I think. Should the OME long travels work out of th ebox with my 4" Superlift springs?
Just to let you know, the bilsteins worked great with the Superlift, David at Northridge recommended them when I got the Superlift from him. I dunno how the others would work with the SL springs, but I do know the bils work very well.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

i wheeled whith a guy that has the superlift 4 inch. superlift sets the same hieght as my ome hd kit does and i had more weight (armor, bumpers etc...) on mine than the other guys jeep had. i would assume that the ome would work fine with the superlift kit on yours due to the hieghts being so close. the long travel shocks have alot of flex to them. i have ben pleased with the ride quality of my ome shocks, but it does depend alot on other things as well.

superlift is sold with bilstens as well so i am sure you would be happy with them as well. if you are not concerned about the money then get the king shocks from evo. i have never really like a adjustable shock to much. seems that you don't get the best of anything with them and you never remember to change them back. just something to mess with and i would guess you got enough messing to do on the jeep. fox makes nice stuff as well and belive it or not i was very happy with my dirt logic shocks from fabtec on my diesel. i have never had them on a jeep tho. good luck man and you need to go wheeling with us soon. you back from pa yet?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

OME, for the win. I love mine, just got them in and they are night and day over the stock Rubi shocks (& I thought they were pretty good). Bils are good too, but my vote goes for OME. good Luck. JOE>
Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by codysanders
i wheeled whith a guy that has the superlift 4 inch. superlift sets the same hieght as my ome hd kit does and i had more weight (armor, bumpers etc...) on mine than the other guys jeep had. i would assume that the ome would work fine with the superlift kit on yours due to the hieghts being so close. the long travel shocks have alot of flex to them. i have ben pleased with the ride quality of my ome shocks, but it does depend alot on other things as well.

superlift is sold with bilstens as well so i am sure you would be happy with them as well. if you are not concerned about the money then get the king shocks from evo. i have never really like a adjustable shock to much. seems that you don't get the best of anything with them and you never remember to change them back. just something to mess with and i would guess you got enough messing to do on the jeep. fox makes nice stuff as well and belive it or not i was very happy with my dirt logic shocks from fabtec on my diesel. i have never had them on a jeep tho. good luck man and you need to go wheeling with us soon. you back from pa yet?
I think I will be going with the OMEs when money allows. I would love to get the Kings but really misunderstood their pricing I think...thought it sounded too good to be true.

Yea man, I made it back and I plan to hit up the Blessing of the Jeeps and Twisted Trails and/or Rocks and Valleys at the end of April//beginning of May. Thats really my only free weekend, but I might be available the first week of May to hit the Badlands if you guys are going. My girlfriends bro is coming out to visit that week and might be bringing his dirt bike...might be fun

Quick Reply: Which shocks?