Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Recommendation

Old 09-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I very much enjoy my OME shocks and springs for on and off road. I get compliments all the time especially when they are all brand new. It feels like you are floating like an old Buick I used to have.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

OME are nice shocks, I have run them with factory coils and OME coils. Metal Cloaks Rocksport shocks are a nice shock at least when paired with MC's coils. I would put them on the softer side for a better street ride.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
I very much enjoy my OME shocks and springs for on and off road. I get compliments all the time especially when they are all brand new. It feels like you are floating like an old Buick I used to have.
What kind of OME shocks are you running?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have any questions about ours, feel free to ask!
Thanks Matt
Old 09-26-2019, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo217
What kind of OME shocks are you running?
I run the springs as the HD Rear 0615 Front 0619 and then I believe there is only one type of the nitro charger shocks. The other ones are for a long travel kit.

The shock part numbers are: ARB60066 and 60067
Old 10-05-2019, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mojo217
Looking for new shocks to go with AEV 2” Spacer Lift on a 2017 JKU. This a DD with little or no wheeling at all. Want to get as smooth as ride as possible with the upgrade. What would you all go with?
I'm also looking for new shocks as I've just determined one of mine is bad. From what I've concluded rancho shocks are pretty good for the money and provide decent on/ off-road handling? What did you end up going with?
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (10-07-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Go with anything hydraulic. Our local MC dealer and I were chatting a couple of months back. We talked about how the industry thinks gas shocks are the cats arse but in reality they drive the wheel into a hole and are slow on the compression due to the gas charge. Hydraulics, on the other hand, slow the wheel on rebound and let the wheel travel up as fast as it can. Example - drive a nice restored 1977 Cadillac on a rough road and then drive a 2019 Cadillac on same road. You will see what I mean. The 77 had hydraulic shocks.
So MC dealer installed a 3.5" lift kit into a TJ and talked the owner into hydraulic shocks. He told me it was a nice riding Jeep.
After I get my MC system installed (trying to get Chev Gen V conversion done now) I will use Bilstein 5100s that are installed already then change to either Kings (expensive) or anything totally hydraulic next year. Off road you need soft riding unless you are racing Baja style.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Go with anything hydraulic. Our local MC dealer and I were chatting a couple of months back. We talked about how the industry thinks gas shocks are the cats arse but in reality they drive the wheel into a hole and are slow on the compression due to the gas charge. Hydraulics, on the other hand, slow the wheel on rebound and let the wheel travel up as fast as it can. Example - drive a nice restored 1977 Cadillac on a rough road and then drive a 2019 Cadillac on same road. You will see what I mean. The 77 had hydraulic shocks.
So MC dealer installed a 3.5" lift kit into a TJ and talked the owner into hydraulic shocks. He told me it was a nice riding Jeep.
After I get my MC system installed (trying to get Chev Gen V conversion done now) I will use Bilstein 5100s that are installed already then change to either Kings (expensive) or anything totally hydraulic next year. Off road you need soft riding unless you are racing Baja style.
What of the new Teraflex falcon serious shocks? Do you know anything about those and how they feel?
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread but I'll be installing Rancho 9000 shocks with OME springs within a week from now
Old 03-01-2021, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
guilty as charged. I have tried the following Rancho 7000's, rancho 5000X, Bilstein 5100 and Falcon 3.1's and some others. @resharp001 I hate to say it but there really is a difference in the AEV tuned shocks vs standard 5100's. I have seen the data (Dave the owner of AEV actually showed me the data on his computer but it of course was way over my head.) it was an expensive venture with Bilstein to tune them as it was 100's of hours. You can laugh but it is real. here is where you can tell on a long rough doing 50mph and smooth as can be and all your buddies are yelling at you to slow down because they can't drive that fast. I know people won't buy it and that is ok.
You tried the Rancho 7000's. Aren't they Monotube. I'm looking for a softer ride on my Jeep. Currently using KYB Excel Twintube Gas and they are stiff. I'm kinda stuck between the Rancho 9000's and the Monroe 7000's which which are Monotube.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 03-01-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Shock Recommendation