Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Recommendation

Old 09-23-2019, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Recommendation

Looking for new shocks to go with AEV 2” Spacer Lift on a 2017 JKU. This a DD with little or no wheeling at all. Want to get as smooth as ride as possible with the upgrade. What would you all go with?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'd suspect @jadmt to chime back in as pretty sure he'll see you asking in the other thread but maybe isn't online every day. He's been through several AEV lifts and I suspect has tried a couple things in that process.

I can only suggest that Fox and Bilsteins will probably be too stiff for your liking. Many people like the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable (I think they usually do a Shocktoverfest....or I may be dreaming). I never picture people adjusting them much in my head, BUT, what I think they do offer is a few settings for you to figure out what you really prefer. I can't speak to OME shocks, and I'd stay away from things like Pro Comp, Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Skyjacker and all those things that come with cheap lifts. I have a buddy that has an AEV lift with Bilsteins. I just laugh when he gets talking to about how they are specially tuned to the lift. Granted, they have a nice AEV sticker on em, but I'd challenge you to be able to tell the difference in ride between the regular Bilstein 5100s and the specially tuned AEV ones.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

guilty as charged. I have tried the following Rancho 7000's, rancho 5000X, Bilstein 5100 and Falcon 3.1's and some others. @resharp001 I hate to say it but there really is a difference in the AEV tuned shocks vs standard 5100's. I have seen the data (Dave the owner of AEV actually showed me the data on his computer but it of course was way over my head.) it was an expensive venture with Bilstein to tune them as it was 100's of hours. You can laugh but it is real. here is where you can tell on a long rough doing 50mph and smooth as can be and all your buddies are yelling at you to slow down because they can't drive that fast. I know people won't buy it and that is ok.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd suspect @jadmt to chime back in as pretty sure he'll see you asking in the other thread but maybe isn't online every day. He's been through several AEV lifts and I suspect has tried a couple things in that process.

I can only suggest that Fox and Bilsteins will probably be too stiff for your liking. Many people like the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable (I think they usually do a Shocktoverfest....or I may be dreaming). I never picture people adjusting them much in my head, BUT, what I think they do offer is a few settings for you to figure out what you really prefer. I can't speak to OME shocks, and I'd stay away from things like Pro Comp, Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Skyjacker and all those things that come with cheap lifts. I have a buddy that has an AEV lift with Bilsteins. I just laugh when he gets talking to about how they are specially tuned to the lift. Granted, they have a nice AEV sticker on em, but I'd challenge you to be able to tell the difference in ride between the regular Bilstein 5100s and the specially tuned AEV ones.

So what I am hearing you say is to stay away from Bilsteins (too stiff) and go with the Rancho’s?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

The regular Bilsteins are stiff, and so are the Fox shocks. Jadmt has been through a lot of these AEV lifts on several jeeps. I respect his opinion on the AEV tuned Bilsteins, but my butt can't tell a difference in my buddies jeep personally. You see in your other thread he suggested some Ranchos as a budget option or the TF Falcons as a pricey option. I kinda forgot about Metalcloak Rocksports which offer a factory type ride from my understanding.....but not sure they come in a length that would work for you.

I THINK that I've seen in the past Rancho has a guaranty.....and if you don't like em you can return them in 30 days or so. I've never looked to far into that as their lengths don't suit my specific build, but you might ping them on here as they are active and you should get a quick response.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

check out some Rancho 5000's or 9000's they will both do what you want. and like was mentioned both have a 30 day return policy if you don't like them for any reason. Also if you are running tire psi higher than 32psi lower it to 32 or lower. If you get Rancho 5000X's hit them with a coat of clear coat before putting them on because they come with chalk for paint . They are actually pretty cool shock for the money, smooth on bumps but stiffen up in cornering. a set of rubicon shock take offs would be your cheapest route and are nice shocks especially if you can get a new set of take offs for $50-75 for the set which is the going rate.
The following users liked this post:
mewaschuk (09-27-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

It's funny that you lump the 5100s in with the Fox in stiffness. I had the 5100s for a while and didn't care for them at all, they were too soft and there was too much roll. I swapped to used Fox 2.0s and I've been very happy. I also put a heavier sway bar up front, maybe I just prefer a stiffer ride. I also drive fast on the street and slow in the rocks so maybe that influences my shock preference as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
check out some Rancho 5000's or 9000's they will both do what you want. and like was mentioned both have a 30 day return policy if you don't like them for any reason. Also if you are running tire psi higher than 32psi lower it to 32 or lower. If you get Rancho 5000X's hit them with a coat of clear coat before putting them on because they come with chalk for paint . They are actually pretty cool shock for the money, smooth on bumps but stiffen up in cornering. a set of rubicon shock take offs would be your cheapest route and are nice shocks especially if you can get a new set of take offs for $50-75 for the set which is the going rate.

Thank you @JADMT as usual, great advice! I will give them a look... trying to get everything covered so when I bring it in to have the build they are taking care of everything!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
The regular Bilsteins are stiff, and so are the Fox shocks. Jadmt has been through a lot of these AEV lifts on several jeeps. I respect his opinion on the AEV tuned Bilsteins, but my butt can't tell a difference in my buddies jeep personally. You see in your other thread he suggested some Ranchos as a budget option or the TF Falcons as a pricey option. I kinda forgot about Metalcloak Rocksports which offer a factory type ride from my understanding.....but not sure they come in a length that would work for you.

I THINK that I've seen in the past Rancho has a guaranty.....and if you don't like em you can return them in 30 days or so. I've never looked to far into that as their lengths don't suit my specific build, but you might ping them on here as they are active and you should get a quick response.

Thanks for the info! Trying to get educated on all of this stuff
Old 09-24-2019, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I thought the Bilstein 5100 was fairly stiff as well. Went to OME's Long Travel shocks after that and am much happier with the ride.

I have not run Rancho's adjustable 9000xl's, but hard to complain about a 3 month period to try them out. (note that it is 90 days, not the 30 days stated above.) And as mentioned, Rancho has some yearly rebate specials as well where they mail a gift card based on the sales amount, so basically like a 4 for the price of 3 deal. Doesn't sound too bad for a 9-position adjustable shock that lets you tailor the ride stiffer/softer as you see fit.

PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE AND 90-DAY RISK-FREE RIDE OFFER
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000™XL, RS7000®MT or Rancho® RS5000™X Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don’t meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-24-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Shock Recommendation