Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock question WHAT SIZE ???

Old 02-20-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shock question WHAT SIZE ???

Looking at getting the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks but wondering what size would work best for my jeep set up.
They offer 3 sizes 0-2" lift also 3-3.5" lift and 4" lift.
My current set up is a Teraflex 3" lift but with spacers I'm a little over 4" and have the Teraflex 9550 shocks that came with the kit.
So I'm caught between choosing the 3"-3.5" Rancho's or the 4" ones.
Looks like my brake lines are long enough.... I now have flat fenders and 37" tires going on soon.
THESE PICS WERE TAKEN TODAY ON FLAT GROUND front and back shocks. Do they look too extended? Without measuring and just looking at the pics Should I get the 4" Rancho's or stick to something closer to what I guess I have now and get the 3"-3.5" ones?
Your thoughts please and thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2325827144.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	532357   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-673964073.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	532358  
Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That dirt man dude has a good thread on how to measure shocks. You need to know the extended and collapsed lengths of your jeep.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks shouldn't necessarily go off of lift height. They should be measured by your full bump (assuming your bumps are set correctly) then fit the longest travel shock you can with as close to that collapsed length as possible. "most" lift coils can handle most shocks but if you get a long travel shock you may have to be careful about that aswell.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

Ok thanks for the input guys..... Can you or anyone just kinda guess what size would be better? I'll do the proper measurements to in daylight lol ...... I ask only because guys are asking for quotes just submitting their lift size and the company is obviously choosing a size for them.... Thanks again
Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decent ballpark is a collapsed of 16.5-17" extended of 27-28" these are just ballpark. if you have stock coils/brakes id stay on the shorter end to be more safe...
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
decent ballpark is a collapsed of 16.5-17" extended of 27-28" these are just ballpark. if you have stock coils/brakes id stay on the shorter end to be more safe...
Ok thanks I have the coils that came with the Teraflex 3" lift kit ...... I was curious and measured the front one on flat ground as per above picture (not flexed out) it was 24" just don't know what others guys shocks look like when on flat ground and if they look as extended as mine or not... That's why I was debating on getting the 4" size BUT didn't want the worries of snapping a brake line or a coil popping out on the trail.... Here's a pic of the brake line in the dark garage with a flashlight :(
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2237077349.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	532376  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 02-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Junkie

Anyone else with input? On this size I'd need? Thx
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Anyone else with input? On this size I'd need? Thx
If you have a 4" lift, Just purchase shocks that are made for a 4" lift. Yes you can get longer ones, but you risk the chance of a coil or 2 falling out when at full droop.

I personally wheel with a couple guys that run longer shocks than is needed for their lift just so they can get more down travel. works fine for them but have to make sure you have coil retainers.

give teraflex a call and ask what size shocks they prefer to be ran with their 3" coils and 1" spacers. Obviously they know there suspension better than anyone else!

good luck!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55

If you have a 4" lift, Just purchase shocks that are made for a 4" lift. Yes you can get longer ones, but you risk the chance of a coil or 2 falling out when at full droop.

I personally wheel with a couple guys that run longer shocks than is needed for their lift just so they can get more down travel. works fine for them but have to make sure you have coil retainers.

give teraflex a call and ask what size shocks they prefer to be ran with their 3" coils and 1" spacers. Obviously they know there suspension better than anyone else!

good luck!
Okay thank you I will do that... I have to get the order in today for the sale and I'm working 10 hour shifts don't have time to do the proper measuring myself.

Quick Reply: Shock question WHAT SIZE ???