Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Question??

Old 04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Question??

I would really like to get a set of Fox Remote Reservoir shocks. They make a world of difference on my quad and snowmobile. But is the extra performance gonna be worth the $$$? Its not like Im gonna be rallying through the desert doin a 100.

I guess my real question is... How much better are high performance remote reservoir shocks than say a bilstein shock (or any other shock) when offroading with a jeep??? The difference is obvious during high speed desert runs, but this is a jeep we are talking about. I rarely get above 30 in my rubi, and most of the time Im at a crawl. So im having a hard time justifing the extra cash, other than the fact that they look BA.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?????
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

It all depends upon your terrain, and valving.

I HAVE over heated twin tube shocks while rock crawling, when going over repeated obstacles that just kept pumping the shocks till they faded away, leaving me weak kneed/Bambi legged feeling (Less stable). I've never had a monotube shock go soft on me.

As for valving...I like a stiffer shock for more precise control/balance in the rocks....the softer ones are a bit wishy washy...especially on the rebound vs the compression stroke...for my tastes.

I also tend to like it firmer on the road, so its a good direction for me in general, but some people prefer a softer ride.

I found the Bilstiens with Digressive valving to be wonderful, in that they react instantly to the road or the off road, and are stiff, but never harsh...they soak up the bumps like a catcher pulling in a fast ball, etc....not jarring...just firm, and in control.

On one of my rigs, I'm using a set of Bilstein 7100's, short body, with a separate reservoir, as I needed a particular valving set up for a heavy work rig with Revolver shackles, that could reach far enough to let the Revolvers extend, and yet compress enough to allow full tire stuffage.

On others, the 5100's did a great job for like $100 less...but just did not have the travel range I needed for the one above.

The worst shock I ever ran was the DT3000...it panted as it stroked in/out...I felt like my TJ was breathing as it went over the rocks...."ssshhhhhh, aaahhhhh, ssshhhh, aaahaah, sshshshssh, aaaahaha...." etc.

I don't think they ever over heated though, but, then again, I might not have been able to tell the difference in performance. They did have great travel range for their size though...which is why I tried them at the time.

Quick Reply: Shock Question??