Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock question

Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock info request! Non-bilstein/OME

Trying to figure out which shocks to get for my JKU Sahara when I lift it. I have a RC dealer around the corner from me, so the low prices are tempting as HELL. Otherwise I'd be dealing with a shop I need to ship from (and deal with trying to find a way to actually get it into my hands while keeping my job). I've been reading on this site for the last few months, and there are a lot of opinions flying around as to "best". I'm looking for a stock or softer ride on-road, with the ability to handle potholed/washboard service roads with mild to moderate wheeling when we go camping. I'm probably going to end up with a 2-2.5" BB, and I don't particularly want to extend the stock Sahara's shocks.

So I'm looking for options...I've already heard great things about Bilsteins & OME's, so I'm hoping to hear about RC's 2.2 or their Nitro 9000 series, Teraflex 9550's, RE's Monotube shocks, or other manufacturers that you believe make great shocks.

Last edited by Scott-BC; 02-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone use those shocks and care to share their opinions?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

I installed a set of Pro-Comp MX-6s here a while back. So far so good to me. Drove from CA to CO and no chiropractic visits yet
Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm taking off my RE shocks (RE is reorganizing if you weren't aware) due to a suspension rebuild, they'll be sold locally via CL in the upcomming weeks. I can't say anything negative about the shocks, but I'm not endorsing them either.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

I have the Billstein's #5100 that Ive been happy with on and off-road.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm between OME and Billsteins as well. But would like input on others. I'm more interested in on-road comfort hitting pot holes and bumps at 60-75 mph.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by renpia
I'm between OME and Billsteins as well. But would like input on others. I'm more interested in on-road comfort hitting pot holes and bumps at 60-75 mph.
Precisely...
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

i went with the OME LT shock since they had good reviews regarding on road ride, very happy with them, not sure about the yellow color, they stand out with flat bushwackers quite a bit.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
i have run both the OME and bilsteins and can tell you that both are great consumer level shocks. i would definitely recommend either.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry no opinion on the others but, EXTREMELY happy with my OME LT shocks on and off road the opinion that mattered was when the wife said "this rides better than before".

Quick Reply: Shock question