Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shock install

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had not problems with the shocks on my 85, 90, or 96 Bronco shocks maybe you should have the wife check them out for you
That's funny!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Golly gum - tough crowd! But I like it. I'd be intimidated, except I get the feeling some of you paid me to put your T90 or Spicer 18 back together for you

So I replaced the shocks today. Before I replaced them, I measured the compression force at nominal stroke speeds for you wiseacre's . The Rubicon Red shocks required 80 lb to compress. The Sport shocks took about 35 lb to compress. The Rubi's have 10k on them, The sport shocks have about 1500 miles on them so both should still have most of their damping force remaining. The wife (no, she didn't help with the installation ) and I took a ride, and they handle the Rubicon takeoff wheels and MTs better. As suggested, they sorta hold the larger tires on the ground better or longer, with less hop after hitting a dip or bump.

I did the replacement without a jack. I didn't even turn the wheels. About 45 minutes.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
How did you measure compressive force now?
I balanced the shock vertically on a scale, and leaned on it to compress it so that it read a steady force/weight. I used the same basic "speed" for both to get an equivalent force.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was amazed how easy the sport shocks compressed when I swapped them out for rubicons.... The rubicons fought with me a bit, they put up a good fight to!

Quick Reply: shock install