Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shock install

Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra141
How any more info on this.
Thanks in advance.
When I replaced my shocks and springs I just swapped out shocks while it was on the ground. Just takes right tools and a little manuvering. I wouldnt have jacked it up if I wouldnt have had to put springs on as well.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aermotor
For shocks and not coils right? Leave it all on the ground, couldn't be easier. I swapped out my old shocks the other night for my new Elka's in about 1.5 hours. A closed end ratchet wrench will be extremely useful.... wish I had one
Are the Rubicon shocks not gas shocks, and therefore difficult to compress? Being able to compress them and install them without jacking would be a plus!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964

Are the Rubicon shocks not gas shocks, and therefore difficult to compress? Being able to compress them and install them without jacking would be a plus!
The rubi shocks are gas charged, not hard to compress though: although if you can't get them compressed, find an average size woman to do it for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep

The rubi shocks are gas charged, not hard to compress though: although if you can't get them compressed, find an average size woman to do it for you.
Ouch lol. Also sure to turn in your man card at the front desk.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the front shocks a strap wrench can help to hold the shock tube. Made my life a little easier.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I just swapped out all 4 of my shocks and didn't jack up or remove my tires... The most difficult or time consuming part, is getting the top shock mount bolt off because of the lack of space, but if you get a 16mm ratchet wrench (I didn't) it will take a lot less time...
x2 on this. There is plenty of room with the tires on.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
No thanks, I've got one. But seriously, the last time I picked up some hi-pressure gas HD Gabriel shocks for my 82' Bronco, they didn't give, even with my full weight on them, so I just jacked the frame up till they were near full extention, and off-n-on went quickly. I'll check my red shocks tonite. Or I'll have the wife check em out.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964

No thanks, I've got one. But seriously, the last time I picked up some hi-pressure gas HD Gabriel shocks for my 82' Bronco, they didn't give, even with my full weight on them, so I just jacked the frame up till they were near full extention, and off-n-on went quickly. I'll check my red shocks tonite. Or I'll have the wife check em out.
The Rubi shocks are pretty easy to compress. My front TF shocks
Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure don't want to show any weakness on this thead...
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheaties and a protein shake should do it.... Hahaha

Quick Reply: shock install