Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shock install

Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock install

Easiest way to do a shock swap. GO! lol, no but seriously, im hoping i hear just jack up and swap, no removing tire and all that. I did my TF leveling kit, just dont remember how accessible theshocks were, thank you in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

U will about have to take the tires off. but that should be it. Just easier to go ahead and take them off got a lot more room to work with. what shocks did u get.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, lol. ok, i got some eibachs from a guy here on the forum. said the ride was significantly better than stock, which i am looking forward to, lol.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mataylor1
Easiest way to do a shock swap. GO! lol, no but seriously, im hoping i hear just jack up and swap, no removing tire and all that. I did my TF leveling kit, just dont remember how accessible theshocks were, thank you in advance.
I just swapped out all 4 of my shocks and didn't jack up or remove my tires... The most difficult or time consuming part, is getting the top shock mount bolt off because of the lack of space, but if you get a 16mm ratchet wrench (I didn't) it will take a lot less time...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I sprayed mine down really good with wd 40 the night before. The top of my front shocks was easy. My back ones on top were a pain for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

You can put shocks and springs on without pulling the tires off.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nagol
You can put shocks and springs on without pulling the tires off.
How any more info on this.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Well for the rear you can do it without taking the tires off. I just used a 16mm (i think??) with a 3 6" extensions. Jeep was dirty and kept dropping crap on me so I didn't feel like twisting my arm up there and it was super easy with the rachet. The bottom bolt is easy as its right there. The shocks can be compressed with arm power for the most part.

For the front I would have to look again but can't imagine it would be easy with the tires on. I would take the tires off in that case and the top bolt is a bit time consuming as there isn't much room to go left/right. That one was a pain for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

For shocks and not coils right? Leave it all on the ground, couldn't be easier. I swapped out my old shocks the other night for my new Elka's in about 1.5 hours. A closed end ratchet wrench will be extremely useful.... wish I had one
Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Unbolt them, put them up into the upper housing mounts and use your strength to compress the shocks until you can seat them in the bottom mounts. Start the nut on the upper mount till it's slightly snug and then use a flat head screwdriver to line up bottom bolt, push it through, tightnen the bolt and then torque it down. There is seriously no need to take off your tired or jack up the jeep....

Quick Reply: shock install