Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Shock" ing question this "Spring"

Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Shock" ing question this "Spring"

I've contacted Rancho and RK about but have yet to hear from them, my questions are very straight forward so here goes.....

2013 JKU on 35's with with BW flats
Looking to upgrade to the RK 2.5 Flex System with Rancho RS9000XL's

I know some few folks are running the Rancho 29/30's on this set up, some have 30/31's. I haven't seen anyone running 31/32's in my research so far but see one vendor who recommended them on another forum. Any reason why? Too long for the springs, would they need retainers?

Wouldn't mind hearing from the folks running 2.5 RK/9000XL combos out there...

Last edited by GiggityGiggity; 04-21-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running RS9000XL's, but I don't have the specified lift. I can tell you this, if your shocks exceed the length of your coils, and you flex out, your coil will pop out. Kind of funny to watch actually. I saw a similar post on another forum and I've been trying to find the video of a guy loosing his spring on one of our local trails. If I find it i'll post it up here and the other site. It ended up not being a big deal because he stayed flexed out and the spotter stuck it back in, but it could have been a sucky situation.

I wouldn't go past 30/31 with a 2.5, but that's me.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I am running RK 2.5" stock mod with TF lca and TF rear track bar relocation bracket, jks adjustable sway bar links in back, 2" bumpstops front and rear and Rancho 5000X shocks 55331/32 so are 27.2/16 and rears are 28.25"/16.875" It flexes very well and no issues with springs popping out. I think the newer RK 2.5" have about 2" more free length then the older ones.
I previously was running Rancho70000Mt's and these 5000X are pretty incredible for the price. I know at least one person who switched from 9000's to the 5000x and likes them (Jkeeper) maybe he will see this and comment.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I am running RS9000XL's, but I don't have the specified lift. I can tell you this, if your shocks exceed the length of your coils, and you flex out, your coil will pop out. Kind of funny to watch actually. I saw a similar post on another forum and I've been trying to find the video of a guy loosing his spring on one of our local trails. If I find it i'll post it up here and the other site. It ended up not being a big deal because he stayed flexed out and the spotter stuck it back in, but it could have been a sucky situation.

I wouldn't go past 30/31 with a 2.5, but that's me.
They make a magical piece called a "spring retainer" which stops that...LOL.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, no doubt. The feller i'm talking about didn't get the memo.

Originally Posted by jksteve2013
They make a magical piece called a "spring retainer" which stops that...LOL.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you start playing with longer shocks, be sure to keep the bumpstops in mind. You want them bottoming out first, which could turn into a rough ride with coils too short for the shock length.

Might not be a bad idea to look at the Synergy upper relo brackets.

Quick Reply: "Shock" ing question this "Spring"