Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shock boots?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock boots?

ok i will start off by saying that i feel dumb already by asking this question, but i want to get it right the first time. my 2.5 teraflex lift with shocks and new coils will be coming tomorrow. i just now thought about whether im going to need new shock boots or if i even need them, or if i can reuse the ones that ocme stock with my x model. most of the kits on quadratecs website says whether boots are sold separate or just doesnt say anything at all. im sure i can probably pick some up at a local auto parts store, but let me know if i will be needing them.

the kit i am getting is at this link if it helps in answering my questions. thanks in advanced.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2500_07.htm
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your stockers don't have boots, neither do the Tera ones, you don't need them.Boots tend to hold moisture and grit, your better off without them.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My usual rule of thumb is that if the shocks come with the boots on them, leave them. If they don't come with boots or if they come with the boots off, leave them off. If you do install with boots, make sure there are at least two holes in the bottom for water to drain. The boots don't really protect the shock very much from water or dirt, and can actually make the effects of those worse by trapping them. However, they do protect the piston from getting scratched which can damage the seal.

I'm running ProComp MX6 which come with boots installed. I check them every few weeks to make sure nothing is trapped in there and that the shock pistons are clean.

Quick Reply: shock boots?