Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Bar Pin Break!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
The upper shock mounting bolts on a JK are not the same size as a TJ and they will not work.

True but on the TJ the nuts were welding in place and the JK's are not so I would think they could be used unless JKS has a new line out for the JK allready. I would bet someone with some fab skills could even make them for a few bucks.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onsafari
Actually this is a comon problem with these factory mounts. Don't know to many TJ owners who hasn't broke one of these whether on the front or back. It could be because the shock is to short or to long but isn't allways the case. It's just a crappy design and needs to go away.
In the 10 years that I have owned my TJ and wheeled it as hard as I have, I have never broken a bar pin. The only people that I have know to have broken one have either had shocks that were too long or simply did not tighten the bolts tight enough. In any case, the problem wasn't the crappy design but rather an error on behalf of the user. Don't misunderstand me, like you, I do think the BPE's are a "better" design for multiple reasons but I would recommend that wabryant addresses the reason why his bar pin broke before trying to solve it with a new/different part.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I agree if there is a shock problem then fixin that would be first but I know of quite a few cases where these have broke and the shock was not the issue. I do dissagree with you on the "crap" part. I think Jeep could have come up with something better than flattening out some tube on two sides and drilling some holes in it.
On a JK? Hell, even if it were on a TJ, I would have to question the person who installed the shock as you are right, the shock itself isn't always the issue. More times than not, it's the installers fault for not tightening the bolts to the appropriate torque setting.

As far as the crap part goes, what can I say, you're entitled to your opinion but likewise, I would have to disagree with you. As I have stated on multiple occasions, it may not be the best design in the world as it provides a sloppy fit and can cause your bushing to come out of the shock but I have never seen one fail like this just because of its design alone. Every instance where I have seen one fail like this, there were other reasons behind it.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
JK-Forum Founder

True but on the TJ the nuts were welding in place and the JK's are not so I would think they could be used unless JKS has a new line out for the JK allready. I would bet someone with some fab skills could even make them for a few bucks.
Not true at all. Or, so far as I have seen on all the JK's I have worked on, the rear upper shock mounting nuts are in fact welded to the frame.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Not true at all. Or, so far as I have seen on all the JK's I have worked on, the rear upper shock mounting nuts are in fact welded to the frame.
LOL......I guess DC forgot to weld mine. Maybe the robot was out sick and an actuall person had to fill in
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by MichaelW
Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I saw one that was having shock mount problems up front and we finally figured it out on the trail. The factory didn't include the top shock isolator bushing in the assembly. No wonder the shock would stay tight and kept making noise.
Man, I have seen and have been hearing more and more incidents of things like this. I sure hope that Jeep gets their act together now that they've been bought out.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

while we're on this topic, i grabbed both rear shocks and tried to yank it a bit, and i noticed some "Play" on the shock body. I re-checked all the torque on all of the bolts, and they're very tight. Is this normal?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

4wheelparts pressed in a new bar pin for me but of course got home and the slots in the bar pin for the bolts were to small so after grinding them just enough for the bolt to fit in i installed it i think the ones they gave me were for something else because the don't really fit that good like they aren't long enough

thats why i hate dealing with some places they just want to get you out the door
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wabryant
4wheelparts pressed in a new bar pin for me but of course got home and the slots in the bar pin for the bolts were to small so after grinding them just enough for the bolt to fit in i installed it i think the ones they gave me were for something else because the don't really fit that good like they aren't long enough

thats why i hate dealing with some places they just want to get you out the door
Sounds like they gave you the bar pins for a TJ. The JK ones are alot bigger. You should reuse your old ones instead.

Quick Reply: Shock Bar Pin Break!