Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Bar Pin Break!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should I don't think that 1" is enough to bottom out the shock if so Ill just have to go up another inch
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wabryant
it should I don't think that 1" is enough to bottom out the shock if so Ill just have to go up another inch
Actually you would need a 1" shorter shock which isn't usually available. However if your current shocks are to long there is a nice lower mount you could use to help the situation.........Jeep should just scrap there sh$tty shock mount design.....
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

looks like that one side was ripped out

i would bet that 1 of two things happened

1.) you didnt tighten that bolt hard enough
2.) you went wheelin' before and over extended that side of the axle, which forced the shock bar pin to come loose, and eventually it gave way

in any case, i wouldnt worry about trying to replace it with a stronger one
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepik

2.) you went wheelin' before and over extended that side of the axle, which forced the shock bar pin to come loose, and eventually it gave way

Actually this is a comon problem with these factory mounts. Don't know to many TJ owners who hasn't broke one of these whether on the front or back. It could be because the shock is to short or to long but isn't allways the case. It's just a crappy design and needs to go away.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepik

No I didn't 4wheelparts did the install but after 1000 miles i did a bolt check and everything was tight and no wheeling just road driving georgia has monster speed bumps
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced the shocks with superlift on my jk this weekend. The bar pin on the JK is alot bigger than the bar pin for TJs. My shocks came with the bar pin for TJs so i had to press the old bar pin out of my old rear shocks and press it into the new shocks. Total PITA.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wabryant
Here's the pic
Are you sure you had your shock mounts tightened to the appropriate torque setting? This break look as if there might have been some play in it as it looks like it twisted/sheered off.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by onsafari
The factory mounts are junk.......replace them with some JKS mounts.......much stronger than that factory Jeep crap.
Although the factory bar pins are the greatest in the world, I would hardly call them "crap". And, if you beef up the bar pin with a BPE and not fix whatever problem caused it to fail in the first place, you're just gonna end up breaking something else like the shock mount itself.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by onsafari
store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=BARPINELIM&Store_Code=JKS01&Ca tegory_Code=Shock

there's all the info you need on them........I'm sure the one's for the TJ will work on the JK
The upper shock mounting bolts on a JK are not the same size as a TJ and they will not work.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Although the factory bar pins are the greatest in the world, I would hardly call them "crap". And, if you beef up the bar pin with a BPE and not fix whatever problem caused it to fail in the first place, you're just gonna end up breaking something else like the shock mount itself.
I agree if there is a shock problem then fixin that would be first but I know of quite a few cases where these have broke and the shock was not the issue. I do dissagree with you on the "crap" part. I think Jeep could have come up with something better than flattening out some tube on two sides and drilling some holes in it.

I for one am not gonna mount my $700 shocks with a some cheap low engineered crap like that.

Last edited by onsafari; 06-04-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Shock Bar Pin Break!