Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock advice...OME or Bilstein

Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock advice...OME or Bilstein

Need Help!!!
I am currently running the TF Leveling Kit and want to throw on some new shocks...which do you prefer for comfort on the road w/added stability for the weekend warrior? I'm stuck between OME or Bilstein...
Also, do I get the 0-2" or will 2-3.5ish" work...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vincent
Need Help!!!
I am currently running the TF Leveling Kit and want to throw on some new shocks...which do you prefer for comfort on the road w/added stability for the weekend warrior? I'm stuck between OME or Bilstein...
Also, do I get the 0-2" or will 2-3.5ish" work...
I have the TF coil leveling kit and I had the same question. The general consensus was that the OME' s provided a softer ride for daily driving, the Bilsteins having a harder ride. I went with the OME's because I will mostly be using the Jeep for long trips with the occasional off-roading trip. Both got great reviews. As suggested by Dave from Northridge 4x4 I went with the ones for a 2"- 3.5ish" lift. I've had them for about a week and had one highway trip and one wheelin' trip, they felt great in both instances. i
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I have the TF coil leveling kit and I had the same question. The general consensus was that the OME' s provided a softer ride for daily driving, the Bilsteins having a harder ride. I went with the OME's because I will mostly be using the Jeep for long trips with the occasional off-roading trip. Both got great reviews. As suggested by Dave from Northridge 4x4 I went with the ones for a 2"- 3.5ish" lift. I've had them for about a week and had one highway trip and one wheelin' trip, they felt great in both instances. i
Sweet! Anyone else have some first-hand experience and/or knowledge??? Keep 'em coming...please!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

+20 for OME shocks. great great ride.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
+20 for OME shocks. great great ride.
Nice!!! Anyone w/ Bilsteins...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
Sweet! Anyone else have some first-hand experience and/or knowledge??? Keep 'em coming...please!!!
OME long travels here....great ride, no complaints. never ridden on Blistens' though.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

I had the OMEs, TeraFlex and Fox shocks. I settled on the Bilsteins for the more controlled handling. They are a bit and I mean a bit more stiff than the OME when compared "bump to bump" but the overall handling experience is excellent with the Bilsteins. OME makes it's mark by using great valving using a twin tube, Bilstein is a superior monotube shock design. It just depends on your priority, for me I prefer the handling aspect. EIther way, my Jeep still rides like a Jeep when it boils down to it.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seal20
I had the OMEs, TeraFlex and Fox shocks. I settled on the Bilsteins for the more controlled handling. They are a bit and I mean a bit more stiff than the OME when compared "bump to bump" but the overall handling experience is excellent with the Bilsteins. OME makes it's mark by using great valving using a twin tube, Bilstein is a superior monotube shock design. It just depends on your priority, for me I prefer the handling aspect. EIther way, my Jeep still rides like a Jeep when it boils down to it.
Can u see a major difference from stock shocks to the Bilsteins?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

I just installed a AEV 3.5 lift that comes with Bilsteins and I have no complaints, the handle really well, however I have no experience OME.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OME or Bilstein...the correct answer is "Yes". You're looking at a win/win situation here.

I have the OME LT's, and I love 'em after a year. I don't have first hand experience with the bilsteins, but given the feedback I've gotten from people that I know, wheel with, and trust...I would not hesitate to put a set on my rig.

Quick Reply: Shock advice...OME or Bilstein