Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock advice

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock advice

Hi folks,

So my '07 X has a 2.5" Skyjacker lift that was already on it when I bought it from previous owner, but it has Rancho shocks. I don't know why they mixed it like that, but it is what it is.

Anyways...compared to my buddy's 07 X, mine rides rough. Suspension feels HARSH over every bump, feels lije the Jeep is gonna rattle apart...his is smooth and much quieter. This is my 5th Jeep (1st JK Unlimited) so I'm not a stranger to how a Jeep rides. I've layed under it and made sure everything was tight and torqued down.

I do have itty bitty 32" BFG's on there at 32psi...gonna ride those until they go bald to save money and go bigger later.

I hate rancho shocks....the right rear keeps popping off the mount and the red bushing looks abused. I wanna swap out the shocks.

I see over on Quadratech shocks called Black Diamond. Are they any good? I don't do hardcore rock crawling.....sorry...lol....I mainly ride desert and mountain trails to explore and go camping. Other than that the rig is mainly a daily ride so I want it to be as soft riding as you can expect from a Jeep.

I used to have Bilstein, EdleBrock, OME....but that was years ago since my last Jeep and the Black Diamonds are less expensive.

What do you think? THANKS!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

well before purchasing the black diamond shocks which i believe (correct me if im wrong) are old school hydo shocks, you would be better off getting some take off rubicon shocks and getting shock extensions, they are high pressure nitro shocks and would be a better value and a better shock. that said, the bilsteins and OME are some very good choices, definately be worth the extra $$.
As far as your shitty ride goes, might be the skyjacker coils. Ive never been a huge fan of skyjacker, but i have also never owned any of their products. but they may be great.
if i were you, i would replace the skyjacker/rancho combo with a OME lift kit. When i get a few other things done, i think ill be going to the OME long travel kit. give dave at northridge 4x4 a shout, he will take care of you and point you in the right direction, and wont try to get you to buy anything you dont need and will advise you against bad decisions.
just my $.02
Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the hydro and gas/nitro really that different?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses. What's weird is I looked up the skyjacker coil part number that's on the coils and it turns out it's their soft ride. Lol

I just hate rancho shocks. Had them on my first jeep and they sucked. I loved the Bilateins, but that god awful yellow and baby blue. Lol
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Are the hydro and gas/nitro really that different?
yes. high quality nitro shocks are really that different and provide a much better ride.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by dblhelx
Thanks for the responses. What's weird is I looked up the skyjacker coil part number that's on the coils and it turns out it's their soft ride. Lol

I just hate rancho shocks. Had them on my first jeep and they sucked. I loved the Bilateins, but that god awful yellow and baby blue. Lol
the yellow and blue shock is one of their basic low end shocks. their 5100's shocks have a stainless steel look and are quite nice. another shock worth considering are the old man emu's.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the Bilstein 5150...they look nice too.

As far as this super rough ride I have, rattling over every bump.....any ideas? Everything is tight/torqued. Is it just the BFG's with the crappy Rancho's? What do ya think?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the Bilstein 5150...they look nice too.

As far as this super rough ride I have, rattling over every bump.....any ideas? Everything is tight/torqued. Is it just the BFG's with the crappy Rancho's? What do ya think?
a majority of ride comfort comes from spring rate and NOT shocks. your ride most likely is not to your liking due to the coils you have. having said that, if you have too much air in your tires, that won't help things either. for 32" tires, you really shouldn't have more than about 30-34 psi in them. anything more and they will give you a rough ride.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi folks,

So my '07 X has a 2.5" Skyjacker lift that was already on it when I bought it from previous owner, but it has Rancho shocks. I don't know why they mixed it like that, but it is what it is.

Anyways...compared to my buddy's 07 X, mine rides rough. Suspension feels HARSH over every bump, feels lije the Jeep is gonna rattle apart...his is smooth and much quieter. This is my 5th Jeep (1st JK Unlimited) so I'm not a stranger to how a Jeep rides. I've layed under it and made sure everything was tight and torqued down.

I do have itty bitty 32" BFG's on there at 32psi...gonna ride those until they go bald to save money and go bigger later.

I hate rancho shocks....the right rear keeps popping off the mount and the red bushing looks abused. I wanna swap out the shocks.

I see over on Quadratech shocks called Black Diamond. Are they any good? I don't do hardcore rock crawling.....sorry...lol....I mainly ride desert and mountain trails to explore and go camping. Other than that the rig is mainly a daily ride so I want it to be as soft riding as you can expect from a Jeep.

I used to have Bilstein, EdleBrock, OME....but that was years ago since my last Jeep and the Black Diamonds are less expensive.

What do you think? THANKS!
Stick with the ranchos, the only reason they keep falling off is probally because the previous owner didnt install them right. I have them on my Jeep and they are great and a awesome value at only $100 a piece

Quick Reply: Shock advice