Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shimmy when braking?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimmy when braking?

I have a pretty nasty wobble whenever I brake. It generally occurs when hitting the brakes semi hard. Also, if I really have to hit em I feel like the pads slip over the rotors and not grip enought. the pedal vibrates pretty nasty as well. Maybe because the heavier wheel? I though it was my rotors, so I uprgeded and still have both issues.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMEchambers
I have a pretty nasty wobble whenever I brake. It generally occurs when hitting the brakes semi hard. Also, if I really have to hit em I feel like the pads slip over the rotors and not grip enought. the pedal vibrates pretty nasty as well. Maybe because the heavier wheel? I though it was my rotors, so I uprgeded and still have both issues.
sounded like a warped rotor, but you said you replaced them? Did you replace the brake pads as well?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

yup bought the powerstop drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads... thought they might be alil better than stock...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, that's weird, that you replaced rotors and pads, and still have the problem, because reading your description, I was gonna say that the feeling that the brakes just weren't gripping could've been your pads crystallized (overheated & glazed over), and of course, the vibration the rotors. No idea since you replaced both.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you notice if the rubber on the calipers had any holes in them or not we just had a work truck with the same sort of problem and that's what was causing it on it, just another suggestion.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Eliminating warped rotors, it's possible your tires are severely out of balance or that you have worn steering or suspension components. I'd check the tie rods, ball joints, etc and have the tires balanced just for good measure.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how long you've had your brakes installed they may need to be broken in. If you've used them hard in the past they could be warped which you'll need to get them cut at a dealer. (however I don't think you can cut drilled/slotted rotors)

If the problem isn't your brakes it could be that your tires are out of balance. And if thats not it then check your ball joints/tierods, and alignment.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I'm still having a brake issue... I just inspected my six month old brake pads and rotors. Look great. However I'm getting a slipping/grinding noise accompanied by vibration on the petal while braking... Could it be the abs? No lights on dash while the issue occurred. The steering wheel dance doesn't seem to work on my 2007....
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Have you had your alienment checked? Too much toe in can cause steering wheel vibration under breaking. Also a worn ball joint or wheel bearing could have similar symptoms.

Quick Reply: Shimmy when braking?