Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shimmy in steering

Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shimmy in steering

i have a 3.5 inch lift with bfg km2. my caster is about 6 , my tires are balanced, and i run about 28 psi. the wheel does a side to side movement. its not terrible and it does not do it all the time. it more of a pulsating movement although very slight. it is aligned with factory specs, could a little more toe in help? or any other suggestions thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

try getting your tires rebalanced. trust me, balancing big off road tires is tough and sometimes it can take 2-3 tries to get right. this is speaking from experience.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
JK Freak

What speed is it happening? If it's only higher speeds it's probably balancing, if it happens at low speeds too it could be something else.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 AM
JK Junkie

Are you running the factory rims or aftermarket ones? if they are aftermarket see if you still have those retaining clips (star washers) still attached to the wheel studs/rotors....They have been known to prevent the aftermarket rims from being completley flushed when installed which causes a slight shimmy to the jeep....Just throwing out some suggestions...Hope this helps....Best of luck...Thanks...

Last edited by aldaman; 07-24-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

here's a link to an old thread....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=star+washers
Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same issue.... tried balancing beads, rebalance. Finally took it to a shop that knew what they were doing. The balanced the wheels to the rims then added weight. Run smooth as silk now. I gave the shope a nice tip for taking time to get it right, and I left my rig there all day so they had no pressure to rush the job.

Quick Reply: shimmy in steering