Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shifter knobs

Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BearInTheWoods
I don't mean to get ofF track but does any one else's shifter knob rattle or vibrate? My knob has a rattle slash / vibrate in 3rd gear and didn't know if it would help to take it off and maybe reseat it.
Little squeaks and noises are just part of a vehicle's character. It's like a mole on your wife's or GF's nose--imperfect, but why you love her!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by middleurb
Take an open end wrench and slide it under the shifter then take a hammer and hit the wrench. Watch out though b/c the shifter will fly off and hit you in the head.

This method worked for me and yes I was hit in the head
Did that too! Just not hit in the head. Worked very easily for getting the old knob off.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A JEEP DEALERSHIP. i took mine to get the shifter removed because i got fed up with trying to take it off. they put the knew one on but gave me the old one in 6 pieces. looks good thoughClick image for larger version

Name:	184263_10150102075846569_561641568_6252293_4036008_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	129250
Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by middleurb
Take an open end wrench and slide it under the shifter then take a hammer and hit the wrench. Watch out though b/c the shifter will fly off and hit you in the head.

This method worked for me and yes I was hit in the head
hahaha x2 here.. thats work ! ( both for the shifter and the head...)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a towel around the shifter and then used the instructions above. I used a crescent wrench, smacked it a few times and it pulled right off. It helps to place the shifter in 2nd gear for a better angle...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1592495559.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	164130  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a rattle, at first I thought it was the plastic gear indicator peice. But I had also wanted to do a small mod to it as well. So I pulled it off. it is a pain but it does come off if you wiggle and pull.

what I found is that inside the knob at the very end of it is a metal plate. I think the rattle is the metal plate up against the actual metal shift lever. Perhaps pulling up a slight bit, or presssing it down really hard would get rid of the rattle.

So I wanted to replace the gear indicator peice. I shopped around a long time to find somethign the right size (size of a Canadian Toonie) I finally found something at a punk shop, it was a fridge magnet for $3.

warning, you will damage your knob with the following (that is never good)

if you take a very small screw driver and slowly work around the ridged top portion of the knob will come off. there are three small clips that hold it to the main knob body. Two of mine broke (could also be the source of the rattle noise)

the plastic gear indicator is sticky taped or light glued to the main body of the knob, pull that off. there is foam there. I then used a Canadian Loonie and super glued the new decorative peice to the loonie I then also used super glue to re-attach the removed part of the knob back onto the main body of the knob. I then ran out of super glue curses, so I used wood glue (can get the peice off easy in the future to change it again if I want) to attach the decorative peice. used electrical tape to hold it tight over night and half the next day, then let sit in sun for 6 hours while I golfed.

turned out great, easy cool mod

oh and no more rattle either.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't think anyone mentioned the sleve that the knob basically sits in with the cap at the bottom which hooks onto the knob to hold the sleve on. Confusing so here are a couple pics that might clarify for some. The descriptions here helped me get the bugger off. After getting the sleve down the shaft, I used a 5/8 open end with a rubber mallet to pop the knob off. Thanks to all earlier replys. You guys helped. My project was necessary because the original plastic bezel had broken at all the plastic connections and Jeep has none in existence to replace the broken one so I got a Drake OffRoad billet bezel. Worked like a charm!!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the drake billet one and noticed that the black paint that tells you what gear your in is coming off...it's only been a couple thousand miles too. Anyway, pull like the wind to get that thing off!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

I just pulled real hard and punched myself in the face.lol I had a grenade on mine but have takin it off. Its so heavy that when you hit a good bump it'll pop out of gear.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

So, what is the point of the shift pattern plate being able to come off the end? If all you have to do is "pull up" on the damn thing to remove the knob, why would you need to be able to remove the shift pattern plate (unless you want to put an 8-ball there)?

I'm only asking because I just had 2 of the 3 tabs that hold on the top plate break while I had it in to replace the bezel, and I'm wondering...how did that break off, if all they had to do to remove the knob was to "pull up"?

I didn't want to glue it down until I knew it wasn't needed to remove the knob...apparently, its not. Glue is on its way.

Quick Reply: shifter knobs