Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shift Points

Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Points

I see this come up every from time to time and usually when someone is going up in tire size and (I think) re-gearing their Jeep's with AT's...obviously. Could/would someone mind explaining the some of the 5 W's (Who, What, Where, When, Why) to me about adjusting shift points with XYZ brand programmers.

What has prompted my question is I recently went to 35's and 5.13's and I am running a programmed UniChip...(say what you like but I really like it) Everything seems to be running smooth but the Jeep does seem to lose a little more umpf than before and shifts more going up long grades.

With that said, I don't really remember how it drove before because I've been in Iraq for the past year and when I finally got home I put the tires and gears on right away so I might be imagining things BUT if I'm not would buying a programmer and adjusting my shift points help?

Thanks

Last edited by madmax92104; 12-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmax92104
I see this come up every from time to time and usually when someone is going up in tire size and (I think) re-gearing their Jeep's with AT's...obviously. Could/would someone mind explaining the some of the 5 W's (Who, What, Where, When, Why) to me about adjusting shift points with XYZ brand programmers.

What has prompted my question is I recently went to 35's and 5.13's and I am running a programmed UniChip...(say what you like but I really like it) Everything seems to be running smooth but the Jeep does seem to lose a little more umpf than before and shifts more going up long grades.

With that said, I don't really remember how it drove before because I've been in Iraq for the past year and when I finally got home I put the tires and gears on right away so I might be imagining things BUT if I'm not would buying a programmer and adjusting my shift points help?

Thanks
If I understand your post correctly, you like the Unichip, BUT it is not doing everything you would like it to do, right?

Then maybe the Unichip is not what you need.

Unless you want to do some ODB-II programming of your own, you will need a programmer.
The commercials programmers like a the flashpaq can load profiles which change a series of settings on your PCM. These profiles are typically engine and tranny "tunes".

Your chip is only limited to the engine.

Before PCM's became the norm, transmission shift kits (for towing and performance applications) were popular. They are still around but less used probably due to the complete powertrain management provided by the PCM.

The interactions between these devices can lead to conditions that are harmful to your drivetrain.

Select one and run with it. Just make sure it is the right one for your needs.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
If I understand your post correctly, you like the Unichip, BUT it is not doing everything you would like it to do, right?

Then maybe the Unichip is not what you need.

Unless you want to do some ODB-II programming of your own, you will need a programmer.
The commercials programmers like a the flashpaq can load profiles which change a series of settings on your PCM. These profiles are typically engine and tranny "tunes".

Your chip is only limited to the engine.

Before PCM's became the norm, transmission shift kits (for towing and performance applications) were popular. They are still around but less used probably due to the complete powertrain management provided by the PCM.

The interactions between these devices can lead to conditions that are harmful to your drivetrain.

Select one and run with it. Just make sure it is the right one for your needs.
Understood..but if I am squeezing to most power out of my engine as possible how would adjusting my shift points help. Again, I am REALLY unclear on this subject. And if i understand you correctly, Flashpaq uses profile settings, so i wouldn't be able to just adjust just shift points (once I learned about the 5W's of shift points) if i wanted to.

Quick Reply: Shift Points