Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

She's loose in the rear...? Opinions / Advice Request

Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's loose in the rear...? Opinions / Advice Request

Greetings, All. Quick request for opinions / advice:

Installed the Teraflex 1155200 Leveling Kit on my 2WD (yes, I know) '08 JKU over the weekend; went great, test drive after went great as well - ride was almost exactly the same as before the kit. Monday went and had new tires put on - Yokohama 285x75r16's. Now she feels a little 'loose' in the back. IE, going around a curve or bend, she feels like she's gonna come around on me (best way I can think of to describe it). Is it just more rubber between the rim and the road giving the extra flex? It's no debilitating but it is noticeable; not sure if I should be concerned or not. Again, with the regular 255s even after the kit install the ride was unchanged, so I don't *think* it's the kit.

Also, I've been thinking about adding Rubi shocks and springs - would they help?

Thanks in advance,
Cleavo
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cleavo
Greetings, All. Quick request for opinions / advice:

Installed the Teraflex 1155200 Leveling Kit on my 2WD (yes, I know) '08 JKU over the weekend; went great, test drive after went great as well - ride was almost exactly the same as before the kit. Monday went and had new tires put on - Yokohama 285x75r16's. Now she feels a little 'loose' in the back. IE, going around a curve or bend, she feels like she's gonna come around on me (best way I can think of to describe it). Is it just more rubber between the rim and the road giving the extra flex? It's no debilitating but it is noticeable; not sure if I should be concerned or not. Again, with the regular 255s even after the kit install the ride was unchanged, so I don't *think* it's the kit.

Also, I've been thinking about adding Rubi shocks and springs - would they help?

Thanks in advance,
Cleavo

Response to the title of the post: Have her cut down on booze consumption and take it easy a bit...

Seriously though, I'm a noob, but what is your tire pressure at? When I got my wheels installed they PSI was close to 40. Should be closer to 30. I lowered it and it made a HUGE difference.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ what he said. I had some loose feeling when I got my new tires. I dropped the PSI a bit and it was much better.

Also, you may want to check the torque on all of your bolts/springs/etc...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default 65??

Ok, so I checked out the tire pressure.... Yokohama's say 65 - I was surprised they'd suggest that high. Checked all four, all were aired to 60. Should I try 55 or 50??
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, so I checked out the tire pressure.... Yokohama's say 65 - I was surprised they'd suggest that high. Checked all four, all were aired to 60. Should I try 55 or 50??
Wow! Yes, that's the problem.

Probably want to go close to 30 PSI. To tell for sure, you will want to do a chalk test. Most with 33's go to around 30 PSI. Range is probably 28 - 32 PSI.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

That's MAX tire pressure for MAX load for that tire. Try 35psi, then do the "Chalk Test".

Examples: Factory Jeep Rubicon tires have 50psi MAX on tire, but are to be run at 37psi per factory.

My current Nitto Trail Grapplers have 80psi on tire, but I run them at 30psi.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Wow, this forum never fails to deliver! You guys were right on the money - aired those babies down to just over 40PSI, night and day difference! I may go down to just below 40...

Interestingly enough, this seems counter-intuitive to me - wouldln't less air in the tire lead to *more* flex, or is it a rubber-to-road-contact thing?

Not sure what the 'chalk test' is - I'll have to look that one up.

Also, have you ever had this? I was airing them down this morning and my tire gague blew out! Gave the reading and then kinda popped, and the stem and spring flew out across the garage! Reminded me of when we used to make 'guns' out of click-top pens in school (I'm sure you could probably get expelled for that now). Pretty funny (I had a spare, of course).
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Wow, this forum never fails to deliver! You guys were right on the money - aired those babies down to just over 40PSI, night and day difference! I may go down to just below 40...

Interestingly enough, this seems counter-intuitive to me - wouldln't less air in the tire lead to *more* flex, or is it a rubber-to-road-contact thing?

Not sure what the 'chalk test' is - I'll have to look that one up.

Also, have you ever had this? I was airing them down this morning and my tire gague blew out! Gave the reading and then kinda popped, and the stem and spring flew out across the garage! Reminded me of when we used to make 'guns' out of click-top pens in school (I'm sure you could probably get expelled for that now). Pretty funny (I had a spare, of course).
Can't comment on the tire gauge but the chalk test is where you draw a chalk line across your tire and watch how it wears off. It will tell you how your tire pressure is. Google 'Tire Chalk Test' and you'll find more then you ever wanted to know.

On a side note on my old tj I ran 28 in my GY MTRs with out problem, I use to battle with the shop that did my oil changes cause they would air them back up to 35, atleast they were checking the tires =P
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

I run 26 lbs in my tires, feels good and a little loose because of side wall flex, play withyou tire pressure.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes, definitely do the chalk test. 40 PSI still sounds high, should probably be closer to 30. I would start at 30 PSI, then do the chalk test.

Let us know what you come up with.

See this thread that I started, pretty much the same subject: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...T-KO-285-75-16

Quick Reply: She's loose in the rear...? Opinions / Advice Request