Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

serious brake problem please help!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387
I was going up a rock facing this weekend when my jeep stalled (6 speed). Immediately the brake pedal is as hard as a rock. Cause me to roll down backwards slamming into a rock. I almost flipped. Every time I am on an incline I have no brakes. Pedal is very hard and will not stop the jeep no matter if your standing on the pedal. Please help any ideas
Brake booster checks out good. Pedal hardens up when pumped with jeep off then the gets soft when you start the jeep. On an incline however its hard no mater what. So hard you can't get the jeep to stop at all. And no I don't weigh 80lbs.
Maybe I'm just easily confused, but please write in short words so I understand (yes or no will do fine): When you are going up any incline at any time, the brakes do not work. Correct? If you say yes, then you are saying that with the engine running, your brakes stop working. And the stall you mention in your first post is totally unrelated to the problem--you just put that in there to confuse slow wits like me. ;-)

And, BTW, I've never heard of an ABS switch mod. Sure you don't mean the ESP switch mod, which I'm pretty certain does not affect the ABS? Or is this just something I've been overlooking (entirely possible)?

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-21-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes! Esp kill switch but it disables the abs as well
Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Figured it out!!!! I can't believe this was the issue. Rear pads were BAD and rear slide pins on both sides were seized. Changed pads, rotors and pins now pedal is smooth as butter. Thanks everyone
Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Figured it out!!!! I can't believe this was the issue. Rear pads were BAD and rear slide pins on both sides were seized. Changed pads, rotors and pins now pedal is smooth as butter. Thanks everyone
T&eRun called it!

Since your running double-beads + 37's, rear pads are something to watch. I know the rears in general wear out faster. Mine did. Yours probably even more so with the extra weight from your current setup.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear. Have you had a chance to test it out on a hill with engine off and clutch pedal pushed in? Like I said earlier, I'm experiencing the same issue. I need to get my lazy rear out in the garage and check mine.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh the good old mechanical failure.....who'd a thunk it
What.....not a weird ass JK brake thing that only happens on hills?

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 01-22-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: serious brake problem please help!!!