Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

serious brake problem please help!!!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default serious brake problem please help!!!

I was going up a rock facing this weekend when my jeep stalled (6 speed). Immediately the brake pedal is as hard as a rock. Cause me to roll down backwards slamming into a rock. I almost flipped. Every time I am on an incline I have no brakes. Pedal is very hard and will not stop the jeep no matter if your standing on the pedal. Please help any ideas
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM
JK Junkie

Well, when your Jeep stalls you lose the brakes. Motor has to be running for the pump to operate. The solution is to not stall the Jeep.

Two obvious questions (coming from someone with a 6 speed who wheels in the rocks all the time): 1. What are you doing that is causing you to stall? 2. Why are you trying to brake while crawling through the rocks? If you use the clutch, that's the first obvious mistake...
Old 01-18-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Junkie

Also, don't push the clutch in when you stall. Hold the brake and turn the key. The manual trans JKs have a feature that lets you start with the clutch out. Keep it in first gear and turn the key and off you go.

You roll away because you push the clutch in. Don't do that.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

In 4lo, just pretend like it is an auto. You jam brake the hell out of it in first with no clutch. It is very difficult to make it stall as long as you stay away from the clutch. It is a little strange at first, your instinct is to clutch in, but it is best not to.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Well, when your Jeep stalls you lose the brakes. Motor has to be running for the pump to operate. The solution is to not stall the Jeep.
You aren't supposed to lose the brakes. They should revert back to non-powered brakes like those of years ago.
If the OP has a pedal so solid he can't apply the brakes while standing on the pedal, there is something else going on.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You aren't supposed to lose the brakes. They should revert back to non-powered brakes like those of years ago. If the OP has a pedal so solid he can't apply the brakes while standing on the pedal, there is something else going on.
Right, but if you've ever tried it with the engine off, they don't do crap. The system isn't designed to be strong without power.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Right, but if you've ever tried it with the engine off, they don't do crap. The system isn't designed to be strong without power.
And you, too, are right. However, it is a requirement that they be designed to perform when the vacuum source goes away.
I have experienced it with the engine off. Most of the "they don't do crap" feeling comes from the sudden loss of the power assist we have all become used to. Same with the power steering.
How many drivers today know what non-powered brakes and steering used to feel like?
Anyway, when the engine quits, the brakes should still work.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
And you, too, are right. However, it is a requirement that they be designed to perform when the vacuum source goes away.
I have experienced it with the engine off. Most of the "they don't do crap" feeling comes from the sudden loss of the power assist we have all become used to. Same with the power steering.
How many drivers today know what non-powered brakes and steering used to feel like?
Anyway, when the engine quits, the brakes should still work.
Don't know what OP problem is but you are quite right here. Lots of young folk here don't realize that the power ASSIST brakes and power ASSIST steering are convenience features to ASSIST the muscles in your body. The brakes and steering will still work if not totally disabled due to failure of mechanical components. Used to be called 'armstrong steering' (google it kids). Now as far as the advancements in the computer braking programs of the wrangler.....it may be something all of us could use an edumication in. (yah spelled it for the masses that use the word axed instead of asked). Key point is if when you pull off the rock behind you and the brakes (not breaks) work on a flat surface then you check the fluid level in the reservoir(without removing the cap) and if good....You may have been attempting to climb at an angle no vehicle could recover from if you stall the engine.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the responses but I have been wheeling my jeep for a long time and never had this problem. It is a new problem. Even on a slight incline afterwards if I would turn the jeep off to go spot when I get back in the jeep. I have no brakes to start it. Something is wrong.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, something is wrong. I have a stick and it is not that bad. I have never not been able to keep the wheels lock after I stall. Yes, you need more pressure, but it is easy enough to do.

Quick Reply: serious brake problem please help!!!