Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Selonoid vs. non-selonoid winch

Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selonoid vs. non-selonoid winch

I don't want to start a comparison of winches or to hear this winch is better than that winch.....

I want to learn what the difference is between winches that have selonoids and winches that do not.

- Is one more reliable than the other?
- Does one allow for more frequent use - constant load, etc.?
- Is one more water/weather resistant than the other?

Appreciate it!

Last edited by Smiley88; 12-26-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I am not an expert on winches by any means, but both have solenoids. One is internal and the other external.

Not much help.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Smittybilt XRC10 and I do not think it has any selenoids....from some of the posts on here people have opened them and looked at the 'control board' where the selenoids would be housed.

I guess I need clarification as to what a "selenoid" is when referencing a winch. Some old posts where they tore the winch apart to inspect it had commented that there were no selenoids just a small control board.

There are also "non integrated" and "integrated" selenoid winches. This would indicate that the winch has / does not have a separate 'box' that contains the controls. The newer winches tend to be integrated and not have the separate winch control box (Selenoid box). This may have been what they were talking about.

Anyone know the details of these that can educate me on this?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

My guess would be that the solid state ones are not serviceable if they do fail. Or if they are, the'll be alot mor money. Regular solenoids are seviceable. But then again, I am no expert.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

mosfet is a solid state part, better and more expensive
Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same with the Powerplant, its selenoids are sealed and are 1 part that costs about 200.00. On my 8274 the selnoids are seperate and cost about 20.00 a piece.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

FYI - Here's the Warn 9.5si:

Solid-state (aka MOSFET) is superior to solenoids, but more expensive. I chose this winch as an extra protection against road salt. Other components, like the motor, gears, etc. are still somewhat vulnerable, but at least I don't have to worry about solenoids giving out (at the wrong time).

Then again... I added a 225A continuous-duty (600A surge) solenoid between the winch and battery. :-) If it was to fail, most likely it would fail closed, otherwise I'd have to take out the wrenches and connect the winch direct.

If I had a winch with solenoids, I might carry some spares. From what I've seen, solenoids are usually the part that goes first. I think most winches also use 4 solenoids (2 fwd and 2 rev) -- the cost of four GOOD solenoids (some are sealed better than others) can start to get pricey too.

js.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

8274 relay there is also the pancake style as well.

Powerplant relay pack

Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is what a Smittybilt has - from the postings there are no selenoids.....

Is this a Mosfet setup or a 'unique' setup to Smittybilt? I didn't pull mine apart - these are images from another posting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	XRC8 Selenoid box1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	16946   Click image for larger version

Name:	XRC Selenoid2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	16947  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Solid-state (aka MOSFET) is superior to solenoids, but more expensive.
Please explaing why you think so.

Then again... I added a 225A continuous-duty (600A surge) solenoid between the winch and battery. :-) If it was to fail, most likely it would fail closed, otherwise I'd have to take out the wrenches and connect the winch direct.
Doesn't seem like there is a reason for this solenoid, so why?

If I had a winch with solenoids, I might carry some spares. From what I've seen, solenoids are usually the part that goes first. I think most winches also use 4 solenoids (2 fwd and 2 rev) -- the cost of four GOOD solenoids (some are sealed better than others) can start to get pricey too.

js.

If you look hard enough you can fine solenoids with manual override buttons in case of switch failure.

If a solenoid fails you can take apart the solenoid in a pinch, file the washer using a rock put it back together and giterdone.

Mosfet fails you're screwed, it usually blows up shorting to whatever is close by and taking out everything in its path. With the ulta high amps of a winch I'm surprised any stand up.

I'm open to why they are supposed to be better though no matter how it sounds.

Quick Reply: Selonoid vs. non-selonoid winch