Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Self Threading Bolts for Rock Sliders???

Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Threading Bolts for Rock Sliders???

Hi All,

I purchased rock sliders that bolt to the frame after messing up my 2 door rubicon rails. The manufacture supplied self threading bolts as hardware. I thought this was a short cut and was thinking I would get new bolts and a tap.

After contacting the manufacture and a local off road shop both say the self threading bolts are better. They are quicker, less likely to messed up, and stronger because the threads will be tight to the bolt.

Is my thinking backwards? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by white_rubi; 03-30-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 25 years in the fastener industy all I can say is that it depends on several factors. Are the screws in shear or tensile? What type of self threading screws? What diameter of screws?

Auto manufacturers have been using self threading fasteners for decades. One big difference is that most of their parts are custom made to theirs specs. The stuff from your local hardware store would not meet their specs.

For a true rock slider I would want them either welded or through bolted (with crush sleeves) with nuts & washers.

Quick Reply: Self Threading Bolts for Rock Sliders???