Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Seeking ideas-blank Sahara canvas!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking ideas-blank Sahara canvas!

Hi All:
I really don't want to waste anybody's time--I am a first time Sahara owner. I'm also live in the center of a big city and drive alot in town.
I am a fan of off road adventures--but am normally in my buddy's highly modified Jeep. As much as I'd love to spend thousands on my own, I simply can't afford to---and to make 3 or 4 off road trips a year in my mind doesn't necessarily justify massive lifts etc.

Having said this; I have a vision of what my Jeep should look like--and I'd love your opinions on how to get there. (Call me vain, it's ok--I am seeking a balance in appearance/performance and quality)

Wheels: I have stock 18 inch wheels/Bridgestone Dueler stock tires. I love black wheels. What is your fav black wheel/manufacturer and how much does one have to spend to ensure durability for light off roading?

Tires: I'm thinking Toyo--any other suggestions?

Lift/Spacers: Can someone tell me flat out if a spacer job is just a cheap cop out to a comparable hight lift or if a spacer job would be adequate for my light off road needs?

Armour/Bumpers: Hey, I'd love a winch--but it's just not in the cards. Can someone recommend a good looking bumper/armor alternative?

Thanks in advance.
In case you are wondering--yes I'm a girl....I am moderately mechanically inclined--a girly geek with a passion for Jeeps and fun but tough sports in general.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Jeeps are very cpable off road the First thing in your place The first thing is to Welcome you to the Forum. Then what I would do is def change the tires to a more aggressive tire such as one that will hold up on both street and off road my buddy has the BFG A/T tire and it handels pretty good off road in Uwharrie NF in Troy Nc. The other thing is get Front JK Discos from Dave over at Northridge they are fairly cheap and it lets the Sahara flex alot more too. They Lift or spacers Spacers add a little bit more clearance and retains all stock geometry of the vehicle to clear a little bit bigger tire, now the Jk will clear a 33" 12.5 with a 4.5Backspace and have no rubbing issues for your info. you can see mine in my Gallery before the lift and after. The Lift will allow a little bit more articulation inorder to keep all tires on the ground. they all have there perks and down falls. With the moderate off raoding you do I would say go with a spacer or Budget Boost, Discos, and maybe a 32" or 33" tire that is a lil bit wider. For rims it is basically personal preference I went with the Mamba M4's which I thought were amazing and just grabbed my attention when I saw them. get an after market air filter to let it breath a lil better as for the bumper theres a thread that I will update this as soon as I find it called front bumper caomparison it has basically all the bumpers you could stare at for a while. and all this can be purchased through Dave at Northridge 4x4 http://www.northridge4x4.com . He has outstanding customer service and is on top of his game. Once again Welcome to the Forum

Last edited by Mutts08JK; 01-25-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks Guys!

Well thank you both for the welcome and the suggestions! I've been to so many sites (Dave's is one I visit often). I'm glad to know I'm headed somewhat in the right direction.
Am happy to hear that a spacer job is adequate==and 33 inch tires is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I'm quite tall (nearly 6 feet) and don't think I'll have any issues jumping in and out, but my friends certainly will find use in the grab handles

I love this forum. I've spent most of this past weekend ripping through threads and reading what everyone has to say. New hobbies are so much fun!

Living in Canada and with the snow and ice this year, I've been in 4x4 often just to get around after another storm. I absolutely love the traction--the height and the toughness of this Jeep. I can't wait to make it perfect!

Cheers and thanks again!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the Sahara!

I've found this site very informative. Any question you have can probably be solved here.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and it sounds like you are just catching the Jeep bug...

Since you live in the city, I would recommend an upgrade to a 33" All Terrain Tire, BFG A/T KO, Cooper STT, Toyo A/T. Also for mild off-roading a cheaper budget boost/spacer is enough. Definately call David at Northridge for information and service, he won't steer you wrong or try and talk you into expensive crap you don't need.

Post some before pics!

Last edited by armycop; 01-26-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Stick your head into the Central Canada section, we will help you out there.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I would go with the 305/65/18" BFG All Terrain. Approximately 33.8" tall. I have them on the stock Sahara wheels(painted Black). You do need to run 1 1/2" spacers. I have the FT 2" BB. But I would go with the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift - which I am going to do when the $$$ is there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC220021.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	18290   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	18291  

Last edited by britjk; 01-26-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree on the BF G suggestion. That's what I run.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by harrisgurl
Hi All:

Wheels: I have stock 18 inch wheels/Bridgestone Dueler stock tires. I love black wheels. What is your fav black wheel/manufacturer and how much does one have to spend to ensure durability for light off roading?

Tires: I'm thinking Toyo--any other suggestions?
If you're looking to do this on a budget, then you may want to look into a set of Cragar Soft 8's, which are under $70 in 17x8. If you want to keep your stock wheels, you can powdercoat them for less than the cost of new wheels, no matter what set of wheels you buy.

As for tires, Toyos are big, heavy, expensive, and cool looking. Check out 33's from Firestone, Hankook, Mickey Thompson, Rick Cepek, etc.

Another route could be buying a set of Rubicon wheels and tires and painting them black. 32" MT's on black 17's for $1000 or less, depending on your deal.

Lift/Spacers: Can someone tell me flat out if a spacer job is just a cheap cop out to a comparable hight lift or if a spacer job would be adequate for my light off road needs?
More than adequate. As you see more and more pictures here, you'll see plenty of guys and girls pushing spacer lifts to the limits, more than you'll need.

Armour/Bumpers: Hey, I'd love a winch--but it's just not in the cards. Can someone recommend a good looking bumper/armor alternative?
Mopar's off-road bumper is a nice setup and probably the cheapest bumper you'll find new with fog light cutouts.

Thanks in advance.
In case you are wondering--yes I'm a girl....I am moderately mechanically inclined--a girly geek with a passion for Jeeps and fun but tough sports in general.

Welcome!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thank you both for the welcome and the suggestions! I've been to so many sites (Dave's is one I visit often). I'm glad to know I'm headed somewhat in the right direction.
Am happy to hear that a spacer job is adequate==and 33 inch tires is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I'm quite tall (nearly 6 feet) and don't think I'll have any issues jumping in and out, but my friends certainly will find use in the grab handles

I love this forum. I've spent most of this past weekend ripping through threads and reading what everyone has to say. New hobbies are so much fun!

Living in Canada and with the snow and ice this year, I've been in 4x4 often just to get around after another storm. I absolutely love the traction--the height and the toughness of this Jeep. I can't wait to make it perfect!

Cheers and thanks again!
Welcome!

Always nice to see other Jeepin' chicks! I also have a Sahara, and I'm hoping to start mods this spring.

Good luck, and have fun out there!

Quick Reply: Seeking ideas-blank Sahara canvas!