Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Security Deck Project for a 2 door

Old 07-22-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Deck Project for a 2 door

I'm looking online and am on the verge of ordering a Bestop Flexatrunk or a Tuffy Security Deck to give myself a peace-of-mind when I have the top down. They both cost a little under $400, and I feel like that's something I can put toward other mods. So I'm thinking of building my own. I have basic knowledge of tools, but don't have the money or know how, to weld. Can you guys throw me some ideas on how to get my project started? My basic goal is security, so the ability to have the enclosed deck fit with the tailgate is priority. Room for storage, and strength to carry a load on the lid is #2. Weather resistance would be nice just incase I get caught in the rain, so maybe I can add weather stripping and bed line it.

Would it be worth the trouble with the cost of materials, or should I just order the flexatrunk and safe myself some heartache?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a post on here that shows you how to make your own. Of course, if the one you have found is exactly what you want, then I suggest you purchase it vs. spending the time and effort on making one.

I think the thread is in the Write Up section.

Several of us have put a version together. I am not personally concerned with security as I am with having the space for storage.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I like about what I have built, the carpet is close to the color of my other carpet, thus if you are not a Jeep owner, you might not even notice that it is there. Also, I have the Smittybuilt bags on my back door, so the door needs to open to open the floor compartment. Several guys have made them with metal 2x4 vs. wood and have put locks in them.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I'll check out the write up section. Any pics of your creation?

WOOO 100th post!!

Quick Reply: Security Deck Project for a 2 door