Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Securing front brake lines

Old 06-15-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing front brake lines

I am adding longer travel shocks all around and will be using front stock brake lines up front, till I get new extended ones. I am going to in bolt stock bracket between coil and shock and was wondering how to secure it, so to I have more play in brake line but, not get pinched in coil spring?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

That is what I did with my stock "extended" lines

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150615_094646.png
Views:	416
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	614858
Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I zip-tied mine to the wheel sensor wires.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

I used Cryn Bob's brake line guide.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ckor
I used Cryn Bob's brake line guide.
http://explorationoutfitters.com/col...n-bob-off-road
Old 06-16-2015, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GunDude
I am adding longer travel shocks all around and will be using front stock brake lines up front, till I get new extended ones. I am going to in bolt stock bracket between coil and shock and was wondering how to secure it, so to I have more play in brake line but, not get pinched in coil spring?

Your 2011 JK should have the newer style longer front lines that are routed in front of the shock and secured to the spring pad with a metal bracket. I've seen these routed a couple different ways, it depends upon the design of your shocks. If your shock mounts the tube end to the axle you can carefully pry the lines out of the metal brackets at the spring pad and then just zip tie the lines & ABS sensor wires to the shock body, leaving plenty of slack for full extension. (This is what AEV does on their conversion JKs.) If you have an aftermarket shock that mounts the tube end to the frame then you have to remove the line & sensor wire from the bracket and re-route the line to the rear of the shock body. In that case you have to remove the line from the caliper and reattach it with the banjo bend facing the rear of the rig. After you reattach the line to the caliper using new copper washers, bleed the front brakes. You may also want to carefully bend the frame side metal part of the line downward a bit to prevent it being pinched at a 90 degree angle. I saw one setup on a major susesnion mfr's rig where they had straightened that hard line down almost 45 degrees.

The late style stock front brake line is about 26", same as most aftermarket lines and it's worth trying to retain. They are high quality lines, matched to the ABS cabling and if you can retain them in most cases it saves a ton of hassle bleeding, etc. They can also be used in the rear with a little bending of the frame side hard tubing. Just snip off the ABS line clips.

Quick Reply: Securing front brake lines