Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Seat Cover Failure

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Cover Failure

I bought some Smittybilt Seat covers (black) front/rear for my jk 4dr 2 years ago and since then i've seen thier clean black look turn to a purple/grey color. While this doesn't bother me very much, what does bother me is that the driver seat bottom cover has worn through from jumping in an out of the seat over the years. While the frayed edges doesn't worry me, i am concerned about the exposed seat underneith... if my rump can wear through a cover, i imagine its only a mater of time before it does it to the factory seat.

My question is, does anyone know if i can order just a replacement front-bottom from smittybilt, if there is any supplier who will sell just a front-bottom seat cover, or if you know of any seat cover that would fit my needs in this scenerio? The rest of the seats are fine, so i'm not thrilled with the idea of buying a new set, especially if they are just going to get sunbleached within a year.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

I got a note in mine to put UV blocker on them. So I order some 303 UV spray from 4WD and spritzed them. No fading so far. As far as the seat covers. I'd contact Smittybilt as the covers come in a full set and I doubt a vender would have just a single piece. Hope you get a piece, because my kids had snagged a good hole in the back cover of mine, but that is what I got them for....so they didn't wreck the factory seats.

You should see the covers in my 05 Mazda van. Look like a homeless person lived in there and a sick dog dragged his butt across all my seats. BUT, under the neoprene....seats look brand new
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You get what ya pay for. I've worn through two sets of the Smittybilt and Seat Glovers 'buy the front, get rears free' deal. The neoprene is thin and does wear out, mine on the drivers seat also.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I have Marathon's, wore a hole after 3 years
they do sell individual replacement pieces
I was able to buy just the driver's seat cover
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here to all the above. I will not buy neoprene again. Looking at trek armor and appear to be a great seat cover.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flyingbrian
Same here to all the above. I will not buy neoprene again. Looking at trek armor and appear to be a great seat cover.
They are. Check my thread about them, titled "Trek Armor seat covers - first impressions and review". They are a great product.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trek Armor!!

Seats - Interior

David
Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Can you just switch the drivers side cover for the passenger side and get another year out of them?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LOST
Can you just switch the drivers side cover for the passenger side and get another year out of them?
Thats actually a brilliant idea...

I like the look of that Trek Armor covers, but they are pricey.... can anyone attest to how they hold up to UV damage? I generally spend the 3 months of the Kansas summer with the top and doors off, which you may not think so, but KS is the 10th sunniest state and that number comes from those summer months.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply called smittybuilt, provided pictures of the fading/ripping covers along with a proof of purchase... Got a replacement set in the mail today... All four free of charge. Best customer service I have ever seen...

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Failure