Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

School me on Tie Rods

Old 11-06-2019, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
If it's using a castle nut without a hole in the rod to put a pin through it to prevent the castle nut from rotating, then that's either a really bad design or something isn't right where either way, I would return it.

The different ends sounds fishy as well, but without seeing if they're using 2 different types of joints, it's hard to say since I've never seen a Crown TR in person. Typically Crown makes OEM knock-off parts and when I look at the pic below of the Crown kit, it sounds like you may be missing some parts, such as a tie rod end.

The bottom rod in the picture below is my stock TR which I replaced. So looking at that picture above of the Crown kit, that bottom rod looks like the TR....but it looks like it needs that TR end underneath it.

Yes there is a pin hole for a cotter key on the stud with a castle nut....i contacted Crown earlier today to hear what they had to say about this issue and I was told the TR is assembled in house but the TR ends come from different suppliers. still not a definitive answer to why it’s like that but they say it meets oem standards.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't trust Crown not to use sub-standard parts and say it "meets OEM standards". It's not like FCA publishes OEM standards for the aftermarket, it's reverse engineered and that adds both subjectivity and error.

Suggest checking the hardness grade marks on the top of the nylock nut. IMHO it should be grade 8 (10.9 if it's metric) -- Betting a virtual beer it's not...

EDIT: Just checked the OEM TRE locknuts on my '08 and didn't see the marks I was expecting. Using a mirror, so maybe I missed the markings or am just plain wrong about the proper grade hardware.

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-06-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhit83
Yes there is a pin hole for a cotter key on the stud with a castle nut....i contacted Crown earlier today to hear what they had to say about this issue and I was told the TR is assembled in house but the TR ends come from different suppliers. still not a definitive answer to why it’s like that but they say it meets oem standards.
Sounds like the usual lame dumb response from Crown. The steering "kit" is sold as a "Crown" branded kit. Them sourcing the TR ends from Georgy Porgy Puddin Pie supplier or not shouldn't make a damn bit of difference in any discussion with them. I would suggest posting a picture of the TR with additional pics of the ends so we can better assist in determining what the heck it is you have and what you're dealing with. A TR should not be this difficult to install. Removing the factory TR is typically the most difficult part.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Pics of the different TR ends.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

For a supposed new part, I'm not liking that at all. The side with the castle nut looks like it is pulled in too far since the cotter pin is essentially doing nothing and the side with the lock nut having no zerk really has me confused. Is there such a thing as a maintenance free, non greaseable tie rod end?
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Is there such a thing as a maintenance free, non greaseable tie rod end?
Factory parts

But I agree- the cotter key should be in a key way on the castle nut otherwise it isn't doing any good. OP- did to grease that joint? The boot looks collapsed which usually means it's empty.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Factory parts

But I agree- the cotter key should be in a key way on the castle nut otherwise it isn't doing any good. OP- did to grease that joint? The boot looks collapsed which usually means it's empty.

no I have not greased it yet...
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Factory parts
LOL! I never realized that since I never attempted to lube my factory tie-rod but that was because I relied on the shop which changes my oil to do it.

Quick Reply: School me on Tie Rods