Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Scared to drive the jeep

Old 07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Lug
OK,
Had a similar problem with my race truck using American Racing wheels. NOT THE FAULT OF THE WHEELS
Imagine loosing a wheel assembly doing 80 through a turn and have it pass you!!!

Here is what we found out. It took a while.

The JK has hub centric wheels - this means that the load on the wheel and the wheel centering is done by the axle hub. You have added spacers.

These do not have a hub.

They are designed to be lug centric. So, if your wheels are hub centric, they will not center or torque properly.

The only wheels we lost were on the left side. Rotation and torque spun the lugs off.

I know you can go from lug centric to hub centric with the addition of a hub spacer, however, I do not believe you can go the other way without the addition of a hub plug or something like that.

Check with your AMR dealer to see if your wheels are Lug or Hub Centric

umm where do you see him say he has added spacers? that pic you posted is from his original thread the first time his tire fell off but thats not his Jeep in the pic its Clackey's

Warlock, is there anything similar about when or where they came off? or where it was sitting before they came off.....how long it was sitting somewhere till you drove it again? both tires from the same side? I'm thinking they had to be really loose this time for you not to feel a vibration or wobble before it came off. That is just crazy but I would have to say someone has to be doing it. Twice in 3 weeks with no breakage isnt a coincidence I wouldnt be sleeping much for a while I'd be watching my Jeep loaded and ready
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

Yep that's mine, and it was caused by over torqing the lugs. Not to mention the lugs were too small.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap man, are you okay? That's insane, I have never heard of anything like that
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tkob1060
umm where do you see him say he has added spacers? that pic you posted is from his original thread the first time his tire fell off but thats not his Jeep in the pic its Clackey's
Oops,
Fixed the post. Thats what happens when you have too much open on your screen.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Tkrob: yes im definately checking every morning for the lugs and to see if i see a pool of brake fluid in case they cut my brakes.....I dont have a clue (except fiances ex) to who it could be....Like most of you have said for all five to come off at the same time is crazy!!!!

I literally walked down the street for ten yards and all five lugs were there in the street...all backed off at the same time. Ya i think its been at least a month in between these occurences and on the same side but once it was the front and once it was the back.

SO needless to say all is good....i have been driving for awhile now and they arent lossening at all....I even took it offroad at good speed to test it out....

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hope no one is trying to do you in but did you ever think that someone is trying to steal your wheels and is giving up or getting scared off??
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah, I think I am going with someone trying to kill you. It just seems too coincidental to have that happen twice to you. Good luck and keep us posted, John.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

didn't read all the post so sorry if this has been covered already but who mounted the rims to the jeep. If you did it, did you check with a torque wrench, do it by hand/feel or with an impact gun.... aluminum wheels expand and contract differently than the metal studs, lug nuts, brake rotors and hubs do. More than once have a seen a profession tire shop simply grab the impact gun and go to town untill they lugs wont go any tighter.. this is an aweful idea. I've even seen them snap lugs because they tighten them way too much. I've seen them use faulty impact guns and not tighten them enough and NEVER even check them by hand only for the customer to drive away and have a problem like you did. Personally, i make it a point to tell the shop 100 ft/pounds, no more no less and that i will check with a torque wrench when i get home. and i do check, and they still aren't right. ever heard the ron white skit about when he takes his van to sears for tires and the wheel falls out as he leaves the parking lot, haha.. its hilarious, but unfortunately it happens all the time.

i personally switched from hub centric stock rims to lug centric aftermarket rims without the hub spacer/adapter and had NO issues ever with the wheels because they were torqued down properly. I hope this helps.

edit: haha, i guess i should have at least read the original post and not just the title and a few replies... like others have said, its prolly better to torque them up when the tire is in the air. also, what lug nuts are you using, perhaps they're not the correct taper for the rims and aren't seating properly.

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 07-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Warlock13
Tkrob: yes im definately checking every morning for the lugs and to see if i see a pool of brake fluid in case they cut my brakes.....I dont have a clue (except fiances ex) to who it could be....Like most of you have said for all five to come off at the same time is crazy!!!!

I literally walked down the street for ten yards and all five lugs were there in the street...all backed off at the same time. Ya i think its been at least a month in between these occurences and on the same side but once it was the front and once it was the back.

SO needless to say all is good....i have been driving for awhile now and they arent lossening at all....I even took it offroad at good speed to test it out....

Thanks again for all the replies.
yeah I would check them every day. the reason I asked if they were the same side I'm thinking that one side of the jeep gives better cover to someone if they are loosing the lugnuts in driveway or somewhere like that. Of course they switched tires but stayed on same side for cover IF they were taking days/weeks to back off I would think you would be getting vibration before they ALL come of at same time Can you tell I am 100% believing that someone did it? Does it make sense 100% Does it make any sense they came off by themselves??? HAS ANYONE HERE EVER HAD 5 LUGNUTS COME OFF ALL AT THE SAME TIME BEFORE WHILE DRIVING?? AND NOT HAVE ONE LUG BROKEN? I extremely doubt it, have you thought seriously about calling the cops? Oh and the last time you posted about it was 6/12 so its less than a month. Might be time to pay someone a visit
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

... The JK has hub centric wheels - this means that the load on the wheel and the wheel centering is done by the axle hub. You have changed your wheels. They may be designed to be lug centric. So, if your wheels are lug centric, they will not center or torque properly. ...
Okay, accepting this as fact: It would seem that there would be a big warning to buyers of wheels to not mix and match.

Quick Reply: Scared to drive the jeep