Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Scared to drive the jeep

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me its some scary shit when your driving and all of a sudden BAM there it goes HAHAHAHAHAHA

Scoot what time you get off work??
Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, as Redneck says, even if they're the right lug nuts,, they should be started and FITTED when there isn't any weight on the wheel, then you HAVE to go STAR tightening, to insure all the lug nuts are seated

Weird

JIMBO
Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I feel for you man. My rear came off on a six lane road. I watched my rear drivers side 33 cross 5 lanes without hitting anyone in morning commute traffic. It was unreal. The cop didn't believe me when I told him it was five blocks away. The brake was shot, and a control arm blew. Sadly after that, I couldn't drive it anymore. Every little shimmy or noise freaked me out. So my TJ became a JK. What did I learn? Torque the sh!t out of the nuts.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Dude it is a scary experience......Jimbox I do tighten them or start them when the wheel is off the ground then i let it down and do the star tightening or torqueing method as i would say.

Muckaneer i feel your pain.....I seriously have a st. christopher himself with me because the two times the tires have fallen off the rotor has not dropped to the ground and blown apart anything else.....I have been very lucky and im afraid the next time its all she wrote.!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Warlock13
Thanks all and Im using the recommended lug nuts from the tire shop that i bought my wheels and tires from.

Im not sure if the cone is right and yes the wheels are alloy but Im not sure if the lug nuts are steel. Might have to look at that.
They should be the standard 60 degrees. If they sold you racing lugs (45 degrees) that's your problem. Do you still have the stock lugs? Compare the two.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

This is really weird. I have to agree with the suspicion that the wrong lug nuts are in use. But, even with that, I just can't believe that all five nuts are loosening up and the wheel is falling off and you have no hint that there's a problem until it does fall off. I've seen folks running with a missing lug nut or two and the others loosening up and the wheel is all over the place wobbling. Man, you've just got to be aware that something is amiss.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heh Heh, hafta kinda agree with you MD, I think there's a "SERIAL" lug looser in the neighberhood !!!

JIMBO
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya what you guys talk about is also running in my mind!!!!! Im about to marry my fiance and lets just say here ex hasnt exactly come back to reality four years later!!!!

Im just going to have to check them everyday from now on I guess!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
Warlock,

I get off work at 330. When you come over we can compare your lugs with mine and make sure that all is correct.
Scoot, Ill be there when i get outta here at 4......Text me your address again if you could and i should be down there in a jiffy.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

That's some scary stuff alright. I've never had it happen to me and don't won't to find out first hand. Sounds like you've got some good advice and someone to help you check things out.

I'm curious as to how long you ran your stock wheels and if you ever had any issues with them working loose? If you didn't then I agree with the others and point the finger at having the wrong lug nuts on your aftermarket wheels. I run alloy wheels on mine and I torque them after rotating them and check again in about 50 miles and have had no issues with them being anywhere near working loose.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Scared to drive the jeep