Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Save my Fog lights!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save my Fog lights!

I'm trying to find some casings that work for the factory fog lights so I can use them with my after market bumper and my little fog light switch and wiring. Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

If you can not find the casings your looking for you can always buy KC, Hella or any other light, bolt them to the bumper and wire then to your factory harness so your fog light switch will operate them.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

why didn't you buy a bumper with the openings for the factory fogs ?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SheepTackler
I'm trying to find some casings that work for the factory fog lights so I can use them with my after market bumper and my little fog light switch and wiring. Any suggestions?
You could check out Olympic 4x4 Products Light Pods. I havn't seen them in person but they run about $40.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 AM
JK Freak

Just invest in some good light i.e. KC, Hella, IPF an just wire them to the factory switch just use a relay an you will be good. That's what I did it worth it the aftermarket lights are well worth it
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mook8651
Just invest in some good light i.e. KC, Hella, IPF an just wire them to the factory switch just use a relay an you will be good. That's what I did it worth it the aftermarket lights are well worth it
I second this. The stock fogs aren't worth a damn. Get a set of hella fog lights. So much better. I have a set of 450/430 yellow beam fog on my jeep. Have yet to try them as we have had clear nights. Will report back once we get a snowy/foggy night.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Duh
JK Newbie

Why not find somewhere under the fenders to mount them pointing at the ground in case your still on a trail at night? Just an idea.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look into rigid industries dually or d2 lights. They are small yet powerfull. The also sell a flush mount version if u wanna hack into the bumper
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I was figuring I should go for new lights after I thought about it.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going aftermarket I reccomend IPF.
Thier wiring harness is very good, everything is pre-terminated. The instructions are clear and allows the use of your factory fog light switch.
Lighting is nothing short of blinding white light.

As stated by others you cannot wire 55W (or higher) off road lights directly to your factory fog harness. It's only rated to 35W and flickers. LED's work ok though.
You'll need to relay the switch and provide direct power from the battery to the lights for them to work correctly.

I'm running 100W IPF's relayed directly to the battery and using the turn signal fog switch to activate the lights.

I tapped into a set of low wattage LED fog & running lights to trigger the 100W light relay.
Then mounted the IPF switch next the the drivers side tweeter as an over ride so I can turn them on with the LED fog lights using the factory switch or just disable them and use the fogs alone.

May sound confusing but it all makes sense when you go to wire it up. I just followed the IPF instructions and it worked first time.

Quick Reply: Save my Fog lights!