Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sanding factory fenders ?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
dd2
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanding factory fenders ?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to sand the factory unpainted fenders ? Last time I took the jeep out a rock reached out and touched the factory fender in the back, gouging it. Not too bad though, just deep enough. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a try , to sand the factory fenders to a smoother finish. I don't know how this will look, But I have been thinking about doing this to get rid of the gouges. If anyone has tried this or has any pictures that would be great . If not I might be trying this soon.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are several threads of people using torches or heat guns to restore the dark black color to faded stock fenders. Might be something to try after sanding?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM
dd2
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are several threads of people using torches or heat guns to restore the dark black color to faded stock fenders. Might be something to try after sanding?
I'll have to took into that thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
dd2
JK Newbie

Just thought of one more possible fix for the gouges in the fenders. How about spraying them with Linex, I don't think the'll ever scratch again.. Has anyone tried this??
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dd2
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to sand the factory unpainted fenders ? Last time I took the jeep out a rock reached out and touched the factory fender in the back, gouging it. Not too bad though, just deep enough. I was just wondering if anyone had given it a try , to sand the factory fenders to a smoother finish. I don't know how this will look, But I have been thinking about doing this to get rid of the gouges. If anyone has tried this or has any pictures that would be great . If not I might be trying this soon.
I haven't tried these fenders but they aren't any different then any other lower quality nasty garbage thermoset type plastic found in other flexible car bumpers. I'd start with 180 by hand or on a DA at lower rpms in the hopes of knocking the texture down smooth vs. heating the texture/fender up and causing the top to 'melt' or 'roll up' on you. If 180 works good try 120 even 80 in a spot and see how a more aggressive grit works.

If you pull one off there could be a 3 digit stamping on the back side like PPE ot TEO that will tell you what type of plastic they are.

I'm going to smooth mine by filling the texture by: pre-cleaning, sanding, re-cleaning, applying adhesion promoter, filling with 2K primer, wet sanding the primer then apply basecoat/clearcoat.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 PM
dd2
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RATM
I haven't tried these fenders but they aren't any different then any other lower quality nasty garbage thermoset type plastic found in other flexible car bumpers. I'd start with 180 by hand or on a DA at lower rpms in the hopes of knocking the texture down smooth vs. heating the texture/fender up and causing the top to 'melt' or 'roll up' on you. If 180 works good try 120 even 80 in a spot and see how a more aggressive grit works.

If you pull one off there could be a 3 digit stamping on the back side like PPE ot TEO that will tell you what type of plastic they are.

I'm going to smooth mine by filling the texture by: pre-cleaning, sanding, re-cleaning, applying adhesion promoter, filling with 2K primer, wet sanding the primer then apply basecoat/clearcoat.
I had to look at you profile. It sounds like you know alot about auto body repair.. make sure you take some picture of you fenders and post them. I was also thinking of doing the fender chop before fixing the gouges. so I might as well cut the fenders then deal with the finish look. I am still hoping to see pictures of fenders having LineX.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Since the X/Rubi fenders are flexible, how would linex hold up? (bump a tree or rock, the fender bends in and pops back out - or whatever the circumstance is...)

I've seen the question asked a few times, but haven't heard of anyone that's done it yet.

Thinking about a Sahara fender chop/sand/paint myself, unless I can find some really cheap (or freebie) x/rubi take-offs.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

If you "chop" your fenders, why don't you use the part you removed to experiment with and see what works?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Since the X/Rubi fenders are flexible, how would linex hold up? (bump a tree or rock, the fender bends in and pops back out - or whatever the circumstance is...)

I've seen the question asked a few times, but haven't heard of anyone that's done it yet.

Thinking about a Sahara fender chop/sand/paint myself, unless I can find some really cheap (or freebie) x/rubi take-offs.
Since Line-X is a polyurethane/polyurea type product flexibility in this application is a non-issue as long as the Line-X has good adhesion to the fender.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dd2
I had to look at you profile. It sounds like you know alot about auto body repair.. make sure you take some picture of you fenders and post them. I was also thinking of doing the fender chop before fixing the gouges. so I might as well cut the fenders then deal with the finish look. I am still hoping to see pictures of fenders having LineX.

No problem. I was planning on doing a write-up when I did this. The only item I lack in order to complete this is I need to pickup a pint of basecoat somewhere. I literally have every other product I need by the pallet full.

Quick Reply: Sanding factory fenders ?