Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sandblasting Question (Powdercoat Removal)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandblasting Question (Powdercoat Removal)

I just bought a used Warn Rockcrawler bumper, and am looking to remove all the existing (beat up) powdercoating as a first step.

In addition to thinking about sanding/chemically removing at home, I've been calling some sandblasting shops. If going that route, they would be using aluminum oxide to strip it.

Does anyone out there know if using aluminum oxide will cause any damage to the metal? I've googled and have seen a few people out there saying it can leave pits, etc., but I imagine it depends on the grain size used, etc. If anyone with sandblasting knowledge can chime in here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave nelson
I just bought a used Warn Rockcrawler bumper, and am looking to remove all the existing (beat up) powdercoating as a first step.

In addition to thinking about sanding/chemically removing at home, I've been calling some sandblasting shops. If going that route, they would be using aluminum oxide to strip it.

Does anyone out there know if using aluminum oxide will cause any damage to the metal? I've googled and have seen a few people out there saying it can leave pits, etc., but I imagine it depends on the grain size used, etc. If anyone with sandblasting knowledge can chime in here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
I've had quite a lot of things on my JK powdercoated and they've always been sandblasted with either alum/ox or similar type of medium. Never had any issues with finish after powdercoating. They've all turned out flawless. Let the guys who do the sandblasting do what they do best. They know how to do it. Don't worry and get it done. Don't even try to use the chemical treatments....they cost alot...are dangerous and make a big mess. Go ahead with confidence with the sandblasting and coating.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

I second 5150. I work in the steel fabrication industry. Don't mess with the chemicals. Powder coating is very hard to remove and sandblast will be best. If you take it to a professional you will be very happy with your results.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
I've had quite a lot of things on my JK powdercoated and they've always been sandblasted with either alum/ox or similar type of medium. Never had any issues with finish after powdercoating. They've all turned out flawless. Let the guys who do the sandblasting do what they do best. They know how to do it. Don't worry and get it done. Don't even try to use the chemical treatments....they cost alot...are dangerous and make a big mess. Go ahead with confidence with the sandblasting and coating.
Originally Posted by cdemeyer
I second 5150. I work in the steel fabrication industry. Don't mess with the chemicals. Powder coating is very hard to remove and sandblast will be best. If you take it to a professional you will be very happy with your results.
Just the answers I was hoping for, thanks guys! I should have mentioned, the first place I called said no type of sandblasting is capable of removing powdercoat, and gave me a number of a guy who could dip the bumper in acid first. That sounded a bit suspicious to me, and the second two shops said that guy most likely just didn't have a powerful enough setup.

Alrighty then, that should take care of it. By the way, if anyone on here has a shop near LA/OC, I'd much prefer to patronize a fellow JK'er! Shoot me a PM if you're in the business and I'll bring the bumper to you instead.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powdercoating removal and powdercoating

Powdercoat CAN be removed via being blasted with media. It can also be removed using a burn-off oven.

I happen to work for a company that does powdercoating in the Santa Clarita area and we sandblast and powder quite a few bumpers, frames, suspension parts, wheels, and other miscellaneous automotive parts. We use steel shot for blasting media.

If you don't feel comfortable or it does not work out where you have investigated taking your bumper try calling Powder Coating Plus (661)295-0205. Ask for Eddie and tell him that Eugene referred you to him. We periodically send samples to be subjected to a 1000 hour salt spray test. You can also check out powdercoatingplus (dot) com. We are the largest powdercoating facility in the area.

Good luck!

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a friend who sandblast for a living and drives a JK he lives in the temecula area , he did my front bumper and my front axle because the powder coat was coming off and I bedlined it afterwards

After it was done being sandblasted

Last edited by jaker t5; 10-23-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Powdercoat CAN be removed via being blasted with media. It can also be removed using a burn-off oven.

I happen to work for a company that does powdercoating in the Santa Clarita area and we sandblast and powder quite a few bumpers, frames, suspension parts, wheels, and other miscellaneous automotive parts. We use steel shot for blasting media.

If you don't feel comfortable or it does not work out where you have investigated taking your bumper try calling Powder Coating Plus (661)295-0205. Ask for Eddie and tell him that Eugene referred you to him. We periodically send samples to be subjected to a 1000 hour salt spray test. You can also check out powdercoatingplus (dot) com. We are the largest powdercoating facility in the area.

Good luck!

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow for a quote.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5
I have a friend who sandblast for a living and drives a JK he lives in the temecula area , he did my front bumper and my front axle because the powder coat was coming off and I bedlined it afterwards

After it was done
Temecula is a bit far from me but thanks anyway! What bed liner did you use? That color looks good on a silver JK! I think I'm gonna go black though probably, just personal preference.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dave nelson
Temecula is a bit far from me but thanks anyway! What bed liner did you use? That color looks good on a silver JK! I think I'm gonna go black though probably, just personal preference.
The silver was after it was sandblasted down to the metal and I added on some bars and then bedlined it

This is my bumper now
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5

The silver was after it was sandblasted down to the metal and I added on some bars and then bedlined it

This is my bumper now
Oh nice! I misunderstood haha. That looks super clean. Looks like you're using the Rigid lights with the fog light adapters? I was thinking of going that route. How do you like them? Did you go with the floods or the spots?

Quick Reply: Sandblasting Question (Powdercoat Removal)