Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Salvaged transmission or rebuild?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvaged transmission or rebuild?

Recently found out my transmission is slipping in second gear and most likely needs a rebuild.

Seeing as this entire fix would total $3000-$3,500, I started to look for other options...I'd appreciate your input if you have any experience.

1) Have the trans shop do all of the work. Paying the above price.

2) I drop the transmission on my own, then take it to the shop for them to rebuild. When done I'll reinstall it. (Doing the drop myself saves me $500)

3) Buy a salvedged transmission with 50k miles on it for $1250. Swap them out on my own and hopefully all is well.

4) Buy a salvedged transmission with 50k miles on it for $1250, then have a mechanic do the swap at the cost of $600.

So those seem to be my options. I would love to learn more about the transmission and do all the work on my own, but just trying to see what all of the options are.

This is more of me getting my thoughts out there and looking for any helpful info that might see me along in my decision. Sounds like 42RLEs get replaced often, so maybe some of you out there have experience.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the, find a salvaged one and replace it myself.
You may want to look at the various Jeep engine swap shops as they have several units on hand.
I picked up one with 80 miles on it for $1k shipped. Lucked out on that one. Runs very well.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I went with the, find a salvaged one and replace it myself.
You may want to look at the various Jeep engine swap shops as they have several units on hand.
I picked up one with 80 miles on it for $1k shipped. Lucked out on that one. Runs very well.
That's a relief to hear of someone who's had a good experience doing the swap. This is the option that I've started to lean towards. I was thinking maybe I could repair or sell the old one... But that's another conversation.

Here are some questions:
• Was it easy to do the swap?
• Did you do it in your driveway with jack stands and transmission Jack?
• Did you flush the transmission cooler or install a new one?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradleyC
That's a relief to hear of someone who's had a good experience doing the swap. This is the option that I've started to lean towards. I was thinking maybe I could repair or sell the old one... But that's another conversation.
Here are some questions:
• Was it easy to do the swap?

Easy is subjective. I have a background in auto mechanics, so for me, although tedious, it wasn't difficult and I also enlisted help from a friend. Extra hands are very helpful. If you haven't removed/replaced a trans, I would suggest you do some research or get a hold of a jeep repair manual and look over the steps. Maybe there's a u-tube video of one.

• Did you do it in your driveway with jack stands and transmission Jack?

I had access to a vehicle lift. Although it could be done in a driveway, you will need an ample amount of space to maneuver the trans and transfer case. There are connections above the transmission you have to get to, to unfasten. Such as vacuum hoses and electrical connections. Not to mention getting to the bolts to remove the T-Case. Having an S-Shaped wrench is helpful as well.

• Did you flush the transmission cooler or install a new one?

I flushed the entire system, using my original trans cooler. I also installed a fresh trans filter.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rebuild by a shop with the install and all cost no more than 1600 ask me how I know
Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Why not look at a heavy duty transmission? ATS makes a transmission that would be a good option and around the price you mentioned. Then it gives you a good reason to add a supercharger or turbo .

ATS | 42RLE Automatic Transmission - 2007-2012 Jeep 3.8L * 4-Wheel Drive * TRANSMISSION ONLY * *
ATS 42RLE Transmission 07-12 Jeep JK
Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thegoat
Why not look at a heavy duty transmission? ATS makes a transmission that would be a good option and around the price you mentioned. Then it gives you a good reason to add a supercharger or turbo .

ATS | 42RLE Automatic Transmission - 2007-2012 Jeep 3.8L * 4-Wheel Drive * TRANSMISSION ONLY * *
ATS 42RLE Transmission 07-12 Jeep JK
Don't tell me about this! Haha. My wife might flip.

Anyways I couldn't find any reviews that suggest that it's actually a big improvement over the standard 42rle. Do you have any reworld tests on this beefed up transmission?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

I'm also starting to wonder if my setup is going to cause my transmission to break again in another year... I'm currently running 35's and a 2.5" lift with all stock gear in the diffs. I figured it would be sluggish but I had never read that it might break my transmission.

Service tech at the trans shop said the transmission is stronger than that, but after ready about how wimpy this transmission is in wondering otherwise. Any info on that guys?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your rebuild cost by a shop seems high at $3000 to $3500 but I am not close to you so prices may vary...had mine rebuilt a month ago for $2200.

I opted for a rebuild by a shop due to the warranty. You grab some transmission and install it yourself you don't know what you are getting and just hoping for the best. If you bring a used tranny to shop for install they will do it but won't warranty anything.

You may want to shop around the rebuild cost.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BradleyC
Don't tell me about this! Haha. My wife might flip.

Anyways I couldn't find any reviews that suggest that it's actually a big improvement over the standard 42rle. Do you have any reworld tests on this beefed up transmission?
No real world experience on this, but the warranty is pretty good. Also for the price its inline with what you mentioned for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Salvaged transmission or rebuild?